Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard Gerber

Life is getting in the way again......

I missed several calls yesterday afternoon while I was busy in the shop......calls regarding a job.

In many ways a better job than I could dream about at this stage........very small mining town, been there, done that, made the friends and kept them despite the distance.

Need to move myself 1000km  South inside a week, have to be there by April fool's day, and I'll be in temporary contractor's accommodation.....no garage, nowhere to work.

I find it very strange that I define myself by making knives already, since it's not self-supporting and might never be, work.....the j-o-b, is just to support the knife making.

I've got enough money once I cash out my pension to sustain myself for about a year, so those are the options.......stop making knives for (hopefully) about 6 months or cut-out completely and try to make the impossible come true...

I have never identified myself by what I do for a living, except for the time I was building houses as a general contractor. Even that was short lived and mostly played second fiddle to my rock-climber identity. I have a love/hate relationship with my j-o-b, always have and always will. It gets in the way of doing the things I want to do with my life, yet it makes doing those things financially possible at the same time.

Ask yourself a simple question: Can you not take that job and spend a year making knives and be earning a living from knife making before the money runs out? 

Another question to ask is this one: If you take a 6-month hiatus from making knives to take this job, will you be able to get back into the craft with have the resources to set up shop?

On 3/21/2019 at 8:11 PM, Joshua States said:

Ask yourself a simple question: Can you not take that job and spend a year making knives and be earning a living from knife making before the money runs out? 

That is literally the (a lot less than) million dollar question.  Probably not, but if I can diversify, maybe. 

Another question to ask is this one: If you take a 6-month hiatus from making knives to take this job, will you be able to get back into the craft with have the resources to set up shop?

The last few weeks have taught me some tough lessons, firstly that even friends can be funny when their orders don't get filled.....and they don't give a damn about the reasons.

Undoubtedly it would set me back, secondly if & when I get permanent accommodation there's no guarantee I'll have a place to work, and almost definitely not neighbors that would be okay listening to me bang on an anvil......  

I have a love/hate relationship with my j-o-b, always have and always will. It gets in the way of doing the things I want to do with my life, yet it makes doing those things financially possible at the same time.

I used to enjoy my job, finding faults others couldn't, setting up networks back when it was more like tin cans with string compared to what we have today....

The industry did not treat me well,  even more so the companies I worked for.  I had 4.5 years of semi-stability and now I have to start from scratch again....

Posted (edited)

It probably sounds weird, but listen to your spirit not your head or your heart. In other words, you already know the answer, you just have to shut down emotion and let it come to light. Good luck with figuring it all out...whatever you decide will be the right choice!.

Edited by Michael Chaddock
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 2:26 PM, Michael Chaddock said:

In other words, you already know the answer, you just have to shut down emotion and let it come to light. 

Yes Master! :lol:

Somebody told me to ask for a sign, but I suspect to the greater universe out there I look like a floating question mark consisting of 80% water :P

Turns out the sign was an email sent to the wrong address for that day, and a weekend later the details of the situation had changed a lot.....

I'm taking a huge gamble, considering the state of my career and the economy you don't turn down a job, but you cannot change your life for the better without some risks.

Turned down a bank, turned down a mine, guess I better start making some next-level knives :ph34r:

Sorry didn't mean to sound so bossy lol. 

14 hours ago, Michael Chaddock said:

Sorry didn't mean to sound so bossy lol. 

More Yoda'ish  :D

5 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Best of luck man!

Thanks Zeb

• Like 1

I watched part of a documentary "Seattle is Dying" yesterday, realized again how tough times are, and how thankful we need to be if we can afford to be part of this forum, and live a "normal" life.

The guys being sold as slaves in Libya today probably wish they could live on the streets of a US city and eat out of a garbage can......

The preacher at my church talked about the kids they brought back from a mission trip. His dad took them to Golden Corral (an all you can eat buffet). He said they just froze at the sight of all that food. He tried to tell them to get whatever they wanted. Eventually, they all came to the table with chicken and rice. They had no idea what most of the other food was.