Sign in to follow this  
Faye

Reject turned veggie killer

Posted (edited)

This began life as a leaf spring and then was repurposed for an American style tanto but got to be too thin, 2mm at widest, and as I don't know anyone who fishes and would use a fillet knife I turned it into a very slicey kitchen knife. The wood is oak and the pins brass. I tried to do a mustard patina on it, my first time attempting one, but I did it before I buffed it so it's barely there anymore. Overall length is 9", with 5" of blade and 4" of handle. Thank you for looking, critiques and advise are more than welcome.

IMG_20190320_171443249_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190320_171533007_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190320_171556872_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190320_171547994.jpg

IMG_20190320_171426525_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190320_171613708_HDR.jpg

Edited by Faye
  • Like 2

Damn and the way I cut my stuff up lol Id slice my finger off with that one. What kind of wood did you use for those scales??  I do like the tip angle.  For being a prior service cook lol I like a nice that I can weight down with my hand at the tip and lift the handle up and let the handle do the heavy chopping work for me.  That knife looks like it would work well in a kitchen.  Not only for veggies but other items as well.  I do like a good knife that can handle carving through a chicken bone in one swap though.  

Thank you, it does work very nicely, and I'm very happy with it. The scales are oak.

Posted (edited)

I like the profile of the blade! And the thin handle is great ( I have tiny hands so all the knives I make have small handles) 

Edited by Conner Michaux

Posted (edited)

Your work is coming along nicely Faye. Overall I like the knife. Only criticism is that it would look better if the pins were in a straight line along the middle of the handle (evenly spaced as you have done, but the rear one about the same distance from the end as the front one is from the blade).

Edited by Charles du Preez

Yeah the pin placement wasn't supposed to be like that. I had to work around some pre-existing pinnholes that were in really bad spots on the very edge of the tang, and there was some bad planning on my part.

Well, 2 things all bladesmiths need to be able to do are (1) coming up with workarounds and (2) learn from our mistakes, so you are better off already ;)