Stephen Ray

Box truck workshop

Would it be unreasonable to get a small box truck and turn it into a mobile forge? if not, what kind of modifications would be recommended to get it functional and safe? I already know I would need to vent the bottom and figure a way to secure everything for transit.

Thank you for the link. When I get home I will definitely follow it up

Why vent the bottom?  :huh:

Your biggest issue will be having a solid base for your anvil.  If you go the farrier route Gerald suggested (and there is a nearly infinite variety of those out there) they use relatively light anvils on skeletonized steel stands that get taken out of the truck and put on the ground.  If you want to keep the anvil in the truck you'll get better results if you have a jack or something you can put on the ground directly under the anvil to support the truck and prevent the springs from robbing energy from your hammering.  

The vent is to allow air flow while working inside so as to not overheat. I plan on putting them towards the cab. I hadn't considered the shocks as a possible problem. I am trying to get a truck with a lift gate. But if I can't get it with the gate then I will definitely need to address that.

The trailer in the link Dan posted is pretty much perfect.  Note that it has jacks on all four corners AND the anvil stand has a post that drops through the floor to the ground.  No worries about stability and solidity there!  

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

The trailer in the link Dan posted is pretty much perfect.  Note that it has jacks on all four corners AND the anvil stand has a post that drops through the floor to the ground.  No worries about stability and solidity there!  

On my way home to check it out now. Just got out of a job interview. (I start Monday)

If you want to take a look up close at farrier's rigs, find the next farrier competition in your area.  The one in my area is held at the county fair and there might be 30 rigs set up and working.  Not many, but a few work with coke.  Mind you, in my area, they're called Horseshoers

I could probably find some nearby. YAY HOMEWORK!

4 hours ago, Dan Hertzson said:

I believe that Jennifer, of JLP services, an excellent smith who does onsite demos as well as production work, has a setup in a trailer.  Lots of good ideas for a portable shop in her posts:  https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/47208-portable-blacksmith-shop/

Just checked it out. I agree it is an awesome rig. I don't think I would be getting that far int modifications yet but it is certainly an inspiration.