Sign in to follow this  
Conner Michaux

EDITa micarta wip and questions

Find a process that works for you so you can be consistent.  once you get consistent, then you can work on improving processes and by nature improve quality. 

As for the bird, my next door neighbor who travels extensively for work had me take care of her birds 2 weeks of every month for the last 5 years

, She had a Pineapple Conure that looks just like your profile pic, head feathers were just slightly lighter shade of gray then the pic. She also had a Blue and Gold Macaw and a Crested Cockatoo, I grew up around Macaws and African Grays ( my dad built birdcages, its where I gained the passion for metalworking ) but my girlfriend wont allow birds in the house..... 

So I just have a Pit Bull and will be adding a Nile Monitor and a Doberman to the family soon. 

Posted (edited)

I started out wanting an African grey, because they will be your life long companion, and there so freaking smart, but I have a very little sister and a decently big family, and the greys are not amazing family birds, so I got a conure instead.

wow I’m high jacking my own thread with bird stuff :P

Edited by Conner Michaux

Grays are great, as long as you have at least one child that the bird likes so you can Will it to them. 

Conures are sweethearts... 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Robert D. said:

Conures are sweethearts... 

Agreed! 

Alright, sorry for hijacking the thread!  

Is there anything I should do to prep the cloth so it’s ready to turn into micarta?

I can get free denim for a while, and the resin should last a while so I can defenetly make a profit of this, once old jeans run out I will go to A hobby lobby and buy a bunch of burlap. Also, with paper micarta, do you use regular printer paper??

Edited by Conner Michaux

Having NO personal experience making Micarta, I would say the least be to make sure its clean and free of any oils that might affect the ability for the resin to adhere cleanly to it, and make sure its uniform in size and that you have a way to press it without gluing it to any surfaces ( IE use wax paper around it )

12 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

It would fit better in Tools Supplies and Materials.  

Yep, that's why that forum exists.B)

Sorry for the weirdness. New phone...

First stop today will be Home Depot to get some polyester fiberglass resin, and a respirator.   I should have some homemade micarta scales by Monday! 

Posted (edited)

Im going to try making denim and burlap micarta.

Edited by Conner Michaux

16 hours ago, Robert D. said:

I didnt realize that the Tools Supplies Materials section was an allowed buy/sell area.... 

it would make sense though, 

And DragonCutlery, if you still have that in a week, Ill give you 30 for it.....

ill take 23.75 shipped and not a penny more :p

Weird thought: could a food saver be used as an improv vac chamber for resin molds?

Posted (edited)

Just bought some burlap and resin Oh and a respirator, probably shouldn’t breath in fiberglass!  

254381BC-862E-48E1-858D-DA22207E078E.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

Posted (edited)

Patterns are stacked 2 darker 2 lighter, than 1 lighter and 1 darker. 

Kind of of an army green and a tan. So when it’s done it should look kinda like camo.  

Aiming for the one in the left to be about a 1/4 inch, and the one on the right just under that.

961DB7A2-6635-4138-9E62-DD5460B7DE1F.jpeg

B307A95A-CB2A-4C1A-AE9B-435224ABBE62.jpeg

F950BE18-B29C-4954-8D42-FE61D42D2A9A.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

Mister Micarta is being squished.. and here is my shed right now...

B55F82C8-A318-4678-8EAB-FAF6142FD1AA.jpeg

C2A04EE4-ED81-4385-AFB6-755E47BAC2E1.jpeg

That is what happens when you have no where to put anything. I need a workbench so bad...

Posted (edited)

2x4s and ply wood are your friends when in need of a work bench 

vacuum is for stabilizing pressure is for resins and you will want a proper vacuum pump as it needs to run some times for days to do a quality job for resins you only need to keep it under pressure till its right and proper set up or the air bubbles will reinflate

you will burn up a food saver trying to get to the level of vacuum you need to hold and prolly never reach it the cheep harbor freight vacuum pumps are entirely acdquitte and rebuild able 

i highly recommend turntex if any one wants to do it your self

Edited by dragoncutlery

Okay the resin is just about done drying, Ive already learned something! Make sure the burlap is COMPLETELY soaked in resin... There are a few places that are almost 100% soaked.

Posted (edited)

Okay I think I have a solid piece of Micarta, I looks great! And theres enough for a set of scales. 

Im going to go cut it up so I can see the pattern.

06ECFD85-465F-4A0D-A0C7-D8ABD966CBCA.jpeg

8AC0FE3C-9792-42A5-89C2-016392E3208D.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

Ive ground into it a little bit to show the pattern, Now Im realizing I forgot to press all the air bubbles out of it.

Here are some pics 

28D4CDA1-E6AB-4562-8631-37BD2120F7B2.jpeg

6012A72F-F931-48FD-816C-7AF5377A7856.jpeg

I just started some denim micarta, should look cool when it’s done!

On 3/22/2019 at 1:57 PM, Cody Killgore said:

They are talking about casting. You can make money doing that. Especially since you can buy the live edge offcuts from burls and then cast them with some Alumilite and add colors etc. The resin itself is a little pricey but people pay good money for the blanks and you can usually get the wood for close to nothing. 

By the casting process, you are adding to the value. Also, another thing to keep in mind is if a wood needs to be stabilized... That should be done prior to casting. 

Casting is typically done in a pressure pot to pop the bubbles that form. I've done quite a bit. Here's a duck call made from a blank I did. Only thing I could find on short notice. 

20190322_135337-2016x1512.jpg

Now that is one pretty duck call!!

I defenetly like the idea of Resin casting, Do I need to buy the vacuum pump separate from the pressure pot? Or is they come together, Also what is a good pot I should look at buying? 

Posted (edited)

Denim micarta is done This is easy! I think I’ve almost got the process down, might have a few sets of scales up for sale soon :D

1BC5EE18-8A51-4409-8061-B570F5F8A2FB.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

Nice work on the micarta. 

So youd likely want a separate chamber for vacuum and pressure. 

For stabilizing you want a vacuum gauge on it and you need to see inside to check the bubbles. 

For pressure, you're probably looking at a solid steel vessel. I don't know what to tell you on brand or whatever. I just know that I've heard some scary things on those harbor freight ones. I also know a lot of people use them. 

Personally, I didn't want to take that risk. So I went looking for something a bit beefier. This is a picture of the top of mine and how the lid connects. It's pretty heavy duty. I remember thinking this pot was kinda pricey though. It's been several years since I bought it. 

So with mine, I have a small regulator which is probably not necessary if you have one on your air line but you don't want to go over the pressure the pot is rated for. Then I've got an on/off valve before the quick air line disconnect fitting. And also a valve to bleed off pressure. 

20190327_144755-2016x1134.jpg

Can I make micarta in a vacuum chamber?? I want to get rid of the air bubbles on the surface, and according to the video I used to figure out how to make micarta, said not to put lots of pressure on it so you don’t squeeze out all the resin, but I’m starting to think that if I were to compress it with a lot of pressure it would create a stronger piece of micarta, and it wouldn’t have any bubbles. 

I’m kinda thinking out loud right now. 

I have always clamped mine up tight Conner.