Zeb Camper

Saw blade melt (failure?).

Posted (edited)

Hey guys! Tried smelting some saw blade yesterday and attempted to consolidate it today. I figure it was l6 or 15n20 (just a guess). It sheared in half despite my best efforts to weld it together. I even added bottle glass at the last part of the smelt to protect the bloom. 

I was wondering if the chrome in the l6 (.6-1.2%) or the nickel in 15n20 (whichever, if it is one of which) might make for trouble forge welding to itself? I know chromium has a welding temp of around 3400°f, so I'm not sure if that may make for a rough time forge welding. Carbon content on this bloom I believe to be in the .6% range based on spark. 

This one might be a loss. What do you think? A wasted effort to mess with it further? 

20190323_175720.jpg

20190323_183801.jpg

20190323_184758.jpg

20190323_185539.jpg

20190324_171613.jpg

20190324_182442.jpg

20190324_182459.jpg

20190324_182518.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper

That's a hearth melt, not a smelt (since you started with steel and not ore),  and that kind of bandsaw blade is more likely to be a 4xxx-series band with HSS teeth.  If it's monosteel it's often 1095.  The ones that they use 15n20 and L6 for are 9 to 12 inches wide with great big nasty lumbermill teeth.  

All that said, I think I'd give that a miss next time.  

• Like 1

Is that true for all the lumber mill blades? I picked up a 3' section at the scrapyard and noticed when I got home it has carbide teeth. No rust on it from the scrapyard.

Is there any writing on the blade?  The ones I am used to seeing often have "Uddeholm" stamped or etched in them every few feet, and Uddeholm is the maker of 15n20, so it's a pretty good guess that's what they are.  And 15n20 is slow to rust.  

I'll look good and try to get a picture this evening.

5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That's a hearth melt, not a smelt (since you started with steel and not ore),  and that kind of bandsaw blade is more likely to be a 4xxx-series band with HSS teeth.  If it's monosteel it's often 1095.  The ones that they use 15n20 and L6 for are 9 to 12 inches wide with great big nasty lumbermill teeth.  

All that said, I think I'd give that a miss next time.  

Whoops! I'll change the title. 

I have some with "great big nasty lumber mill teeth"! Might try those next. Thanks! 

BTW @Zeb Camper those skinny bandsaw blades forge weld up nice in a billet. However, they are coated with some sort of lubricant surface glaze that really will jack up the weld. This is what probably happened in your hearth. If you want to try that again, I suggest you burn the little pieces in your forge first.

• Like 1

Cool! Your blade looked pretty slick (as per usual). These are big blades though they're probably maybe 12' stretched out.  1 1/4" wide. 

Nickle doesnt like leave the steel all too much in this style of melt. Are you taking this chunk to forge welding temps to work it into a welded bar?

• Thanks 1

Hey @Daniel Cauble, yeah I tried my best in the coal forge but it wouldn't stick to itself. I'm pretty good at welding , but I was on my knees hammering on rail road track in broad daylight with a less than usable pair of tongs and a bootleg hammer in a makeshift forge :lol:. But I've still got the 2 nuggets. I could try to weld those up Monday. I'm on vacation this coming week so I'm looking for stuff to do anyway.