I'm going to try to make one, Im going to epoxy a carbide blank to a piece of mild steel, http://www.msdiscount.com/columnar.aspx?cat_id=8678&session_id=217119613&category_site=STARTOOL&referer=http%3A//www.knifedogs.com/showthread.php%3Fp%3D25778&compidcookieset&sessioncookieset

Those are the carbide blanks im going to use, Once I glue them to the mild steel Im going to drill some holes in the mild steel so I can clamp them onto a Ricasso.

Good idea?? And are those the right carbide blanks for a file guide?

What I did was to tack weld the two pieces before I drilled the holes. Then I put the bolts and screw the nuts tight. Then ground everything flat and square. After that I HTed the parts but you just have to glue your carbides on. This way you get everything true WITH the bolts on. 

Those will work.  Get the 3/8" or 1/2" wide by 2" long.  And make the mild steel parts first so after you drill them you can clamp them together and D'oh!  Joel beat me!:lol:

It is critical to have them joined and trued flat and square before you glue the carbide on.

Okay thanks. 

I’m interested to see how this one turns out.  I bought mine didn’t want to make one with out physically seeing one first.

I won't be making this for a few weeks, I have a few things I need to do before then.

Thanks for the help guys.

I made 1 but for some reason the glue always fails on the 1 side. The same side everytime. it will work for 1 or 2 blades and then pop off when I'm not looking:ph34r:

9 minutes ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

I made 1 but for some reason the glue always fails on the 1 side. The same side everytime. it will work for 1 or 2 blades and then pop off when I'm not looking:ph34r:

OPPS.  I played it safe for my first file guide I have something to go off of if I decide to make my own.

Ive been thinking about this project for months, and there is no way i am able to do this, I Have any idea how i could get the mild steel faces totally trued of together perfectly flat. So have another idea, https://usaknifemaker.com/file-guide-precision.html

Im going to buy this, and glue 2 carbide pieces onto it.  I don't care if i have to constantly re glue them, all i need is for it to make my plunge lines the same on both sides.

Will this work...?

Why not just get a file with one safe edge, (no teeth)? That way you wouldn't have to worry about the carbide.

I’m having a difficult time getting the plunge lines to be in the same place and same angle on both sides of the blade. So the file guide will eliminate the problem 

1 minute ago, Conner Michaux said:

I’m having a difficult time getting the plunge lines to be in the same place and same angle on both sides of the blade. So the file guide will eliminate the problem 

I understand, but the safe side butts against the file guide without damaging it. So you could avoid having to use carbide scales.

The carbide guides let you use power tools, among other things.  Even a ceramic belt won't touch them.  Just don't drop them, that's how I broke mine.  I just bought 2 new ones from Bill Behnke.  I found that even hardened steel guides will start to wear unevenly even if you use safed files.  I love my carbide guides,

Geoff

Yeah they seem pretty handy, I’ve wanted to get a couple from Bill but I can’t afford a carbide one, that’s why I want to by the guide without carbide and glue some of onto it.

Would the one I linked above be able to hold to a file for at least one blade? It says it’s 61 Rockwell, but I don’t know how hard Nicholson’s are.  I just need it for my kith, I want that to be as good and consistent as possible. 

Here is how I looked at it, because I thought about building my own as well.  If you got carbide 3/16 x 1/2 x 3 from MSC that's about $40 for one.  Buy the time you get done making the body flat and true and square, I think you're well beyond what Mr. Behnke charges, and we know his work.

The one you've listed should work for a long time, so long as you're careful about how you treat it.  It's just that the carbide one work way better and for a lot longer.

BTW, Bill textures the top of his, where the carbides sit, which gives a place for the epoxy to live.  If you buy the hardened one, you won't be able to do that.

Good luck

g

• Like 1

Thanks Geoff, I’m gonna buy the O1 guide, and when a have some more money I’ll try at making my own. 

Shouldn't you not run a good file over something that hard? Or do you try not to touch the guide too much? Or use sacrificial kobalt (cheapo) files? 

If you radius the inside of your guard to somewhat closely match a radius on your ricasso, you can actually vise up your blade and take a "monkey tool" that fits around your tang and contacts the underside of the guard, you can either hot fit it in mild steel, or cold work it with non ferrous. That's my favorite way. 

A file guide has several uses.  One is for creating the shoulders where the guard is going to seat.  Second is to help locate the plunge cuts.  With the carbide faces you can do both things on your belt grinder or with an angle grinder.  Those are how I use mine, there may be other uses that I'm not aware of.

Geoff

Those are both of the things I’ll be using this one for. 

Here it is, after kith I’m going to get some carbide and glue it on. 

9A79F7F4-F7D5-43C9-AB12-C53784D6070E.jpeg

B58D8E8B-EB1A-486D-B765-1A63F8F63EEA.jpeg

I bought the same file guide. It has held up for the two knives I’ve made with it. But I did not use power tools on it. 

Im also curious about gluing some carbide  on one side so I can use it on the grinder. If I try it I’ll let you know how it works out.