Aaron Gouge

Question about welding a anvil back together

Hey all, 

So need some help here. I will be moveing to Ecuador in about 2 months! We are supper excited!! I currently don’t have a anvil. Been forging on some kind of old cast iron or pig iron machine counter balance. I have had a 105 Lb Scott anvil become available for me to take to Ecuador. Here is the catch, we are not shipping anything down. So it has to go as baggage on the plane with us and that means a 100lb max waight limite. If I was to cut the base of to meet the 100lb waight requirement could it be welded back together? Or would this distroy a otherwise good anvil? It seems they are made of ductile alloy. 

Thanks for your help

Aaron 

If you cut it, you probably won't successfully weld it back together.   OTOH, if you only have to take 5-10 lbs off, you could just use it as is.  Another idea might be some kind of rail anvil, like I talk about here.

You might be able to source a piece of track in country, but even if you can't, track is pretty easy to get here, and cutting it won't hurt it much.

Geoff

Geoff I may be able to find a piece of track but it’s hard to say at this piont. It takes a lot longer to make connections and find sources for things like these in South America. I have no problem improvising but if I can take something down with me it would make the transition a little easier. 

Gerald I have not found any positive info or leads for anvil in Ecuador. Anything that is imported can be 2 to 3 times the cost than it would be in the states.    Your simple charcoal grill that you could buy for $50 at Home Depot cost $180 in Ecuador. They’re getting better about having quality tools but it can be very hit and miss. 

Sounds like you might want to take a welder with you instead. Weld up a few barbecues and you can buy a nice anvil :D

You may have something thier Charles!! LOL!! 

I'd buy a 60 lb anvil here... Or whatever other size you can get. Or trim the toes and part of the horn of your #105 and reshape the horn with a grinder to drop weight. I don't like that idea, but might consider it as a last resort.  

Hey Zeb, my plan has been to buy a 77lb Kanca Anvil to take down. But then this Scott anvil was made available for me to take. Trimming the toes and horn a bit might do it. All the reading I’ve done so far is that welding ductile is questionable. 

Posted (edited)

Anvils are out there, but I would probably say that if you want to take something with you, maybe a stake anvil would be more reasonable? 

Cutting up an existing anvil is - well it's yours you can do what you want with it - but I would cringe a little.  Then to think about welding it back together, it's possible because the foot of the anvil is welded on anyway depending on what type of anvil a Scott is, forged, or cast.  Then there is what material it is, wrought or cast iron. Lots of things can go wrong.

Had to do a quick search of 'scotts anvil' I'm not familiar with them looks new.  Still wouldn't cut it.

Edited by Daniel W
update.

These are not out yet. He's hoping to be able to start shipping them in mid-may but I have been watching and waiting. I don't even need one but I may buy one anyway... 

The guy that makes the atlas mini forges has decided to get anvils made now. They are 65 lb, just light enough to be able to ship it flat rate usps (so like $15 shipping). They are cast out of C50 with a HRC target of 53-58. He's only got samples in so far but the first batch is being poured from what I understand. 

Anyway, I'm not a salesman for atlas but this looks like a fantastic anvil designed specifically for bladesmithing. I think he plans to charge about $300 but don't quote me on that. 

Here's a pic

55600678_3995245217168186_5536267051326242816_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

A 65 lb anvil with a hardy hole and no bick!  That's really well thought out.  It should be first rate for someone who has not interest in decorative iron or farrier work.

Doug

Cody, thanks for passing on the info on the Atlas anvil. I use his minny forge, it’s been great! I will keep it in mind. 

Daniel I am not thrilled with the idea of cutting the Scott anvil. I know it is above my skill level of welding to put it back together. I would take it to a fab shop in Ecuador. 

Aaron