Sign in to follow this  
Greg R

1 or 2 burners?

Seem kind of pricey for what they are.   Just T burners which are simple enough to make.  And the regulators don't seem like the greatest.   I'm sure they would work, but honestly you are probably better off spending that kind of money on a Single burner from HybridBurners,  I've heard great things about them.    Hightemp tools also sells burners and burner kits.   Iforgeiron has lots of info on building T-Burners.   If you are good a scrounging, you can probably build one for 1/2 the price.    To answer your question, if it's a regular propane tank forge that is well insulated, then 1 burner should suffice,   whether or not the linked burners can get you to welding heat, well I'm not so sure about that.   Maybe a bigger 1 inch burner if you need welding heat.    Chili forge also sells there 1" diablo burners for about $150 I think.   Not that there is anything really wrong with the linked burner, I'm sure it will work, just probably not as well as a Fine tuned one.

would either of these get me up to welding temperature or are they to small? They look big to me what size would u consider a large burner. According to seller they are made with 3/4” x 8” pipe and 3/4” tees and a 1 1/4” x 3/4” reducer

Personally I wouldn't buy a burner from the guy on etsy. For one I've never seen clear blue hose rated for propane. Not that there isnt any and for the flare he is just using g a bell reducer which doesn't really work like a normal flare. I have seen this guys stuff on Ebay and there was a rant on iforgeiron.com about him. I would buy one of the anvilfire.com's black beauty or build a blown burner.

ok, good to know. if i get it from anvilfire. is 1 burner good enough to get up to welding temperature. and do they sell all the connections i need to hook up to my tank?

Getting to welding heat depends on the size of your forge, and no, Anvilfire doesn't sell the hose and regulator.  Www.hightemptools.com does.

Getting to welding temp may take a few factors other than just the burner.  Proper insulation is pretty key, as without it, the forge will only maintain a temp.  In other words it may just get hotter faster with two burners, but never get to that welding temp if the insulation isn't the right stuff. 

However, chances of getting to welding temp is better with two burners as you've doubled the BTU's. 

I would put a pretty solid bet on the black beauty burner, and just about anything on anvilfire.  That is a blacksmith resource wed-site made by blacksmiths.  The guy on etsey may be OK, but if it's on anvilfire, it's probably tested and proved.

Not just tested and proven, but well tested and proven.  Jock Dempsey is a machinery designer who used to work in the nuclear field.  Here is a thread about them on this site:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If I could piggyback off this (helpful!) discussion--

I'm in the process of building a propane forge with a flat hard brick base, arched top lined with 2" of wool + refractory and reflective coating, volume of about 330 in³. I had been planning on getting a t-rex burner, but I hadn't seen the black beauty burners before. I want to do a lot of welding. It sounds like I would be fine getting the BB burner instead of the t-rex? Can I get just one, or should I buy two to be sure welding is easy? I don't want to waste fuel, but I also don't want to have to fight to get the heat I'll need. [Edit: I see, in the thread you just linked Alan, that Brian used two for about 475in³?]

Edited by Andrew W

The brick floor will eat a lot of heat until it gets to welding temperature, at which point it will probably crumble.  Go with cast-o-lite.  It will take a while to heat up as well, but it will outlast brick 20 to one.  I would think one BB might get that volume to welding heat eventually, but two would be better.  I know a guy with two T-rexes on a 400 in^3 forge that will easily hit welding heat.  

Posted (edited)

Thanks! Two it is. Is there a particular refractory formula that holds up to borax and bloomery slag? I was leaning toward brick for easy of replacement, but am happy to adjust if that's a bad plan. (Either way, I'm planning on laying down a sacrificial kiln shelf.)

Edited by Andrew W