Joshua States

Sharpening Tips & Tricks

21 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Not actual battle, so much.

Disappointing 

You should try the tungsten electrode. It'll put an edge on a knife Schick would be jealous of.

57 minutes ago, Randy Griffin said:

You should try the tungsten electrode. It'll put an edge on a knife Schick would be jealous of.

Does it actually remove metal, or is more like a butcher's steel that straightens and burnishes the edge?

13 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Does it actually remove metal, or is more like a butcher's steel that straightens and burnishes the edge?

It removes metal. You can start with a dull blade and make it razor sharp. Would take a while as the texture is pretty fine.

On 4/9/2019 at 10:04 PM, MikeDT said:

For European sword sharpening, Michael Edelson has a good book (Cutting with the Medieval Sword) with a detailed section on sharpening.  He uses a 1x30 slack belt, sharpening up to 2000 grit and finishing on a board or leather up to 4000 grit.

This might be where the idea comes from, I was once a part of the myarmoury forum many years back when it was a really good research forum for European blades of all kinds, that's where about I head of the idea.  Really wonderful research was going on there at one point in time, its where I learned a lot about geometry and how swords should act. 

theres a video out there, of a very learned antique sword guru maybe this one

I believe he also talks about different sharpness for different tasks in swords and knifes historically.  Fella's pretty interesting.

I've always found Schola Gladiatoria/Matt Easton, really solid in their work.  Fine edge vs. toothy edge, it may come down to personal preference or more likely how (on what) you plan to use the sword, just like knives we make today.