Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Hydraulic Press Build W I P

So after reading through on my post and on the Mini Hydaulic Press build post, I decided to start working on my own.  So far I'm working on the frame of the press.  It's going together quite quickly I'm quite surprised.  I'm waiting for one of the pieces to cool down currently so I can weld back brackets on to keep the center bar in place on the frame itself.  The piece of tube that will move up and down with the ram of the Bottle Jack.  I'm still trying to work out what I'm going to do for the base of this press.  But hey at least i'll be able to say I accomplished a DIY project LOL.  Yep I'm also welding in the rain (Under cover of course.)  Base plate will be next.  Oh yes on my welds they may look horrible only because of the welder but I did sit on the frame at the end on its side and I weigh almost 200 pounds and it held up quite well.  So they should do alright.  More photos to come as the project gets near to completion.

IMG_20190405_131642763.jpg

Posted (edited)

Surprisingly this build is going very smoothly for me no hickups big ones anyway.  Nothing that I couldn't work though.  The frames basically done as well as the lift bar is in as well as the top piece for the top die.  I still have to make the base I'm trying to figure out where I should buy the steel pipe from because I am using 2 inch tube with a 3/16ths inch wall thickness.  So I got a lot done on it and I feel quite accomplished.  Starting this project was well worth it, and if this works good as a press it will be a worthy investment and learning experience.  I really should have invested in a stick welder instead of the Flux welder maybe mid month I'll spend the money and get a stick welder that I can play with.  I weld far better with them lol.

IMG_20190405_143704064.jpg

IMG_20190405_143655447.jpg

Edited by AndrewB

Welp I think I'm actually starting to get somewhere's with this little project.  I did a test up prior to welding everything together.  I wanted to judge the time that I would need to make a forge weld.  So in the long run I had to cut off about 5 inches of the legs of the frame.  How ever it made it a bit short but I'm sure it will work just fine for forge welding damascus steel.  But for something coming from my end and my building skills.  I can't complain lol.  This has been a learning experience and quite fun getting this going.

That middle plate. The 1 that looks like to me where you will putting your top die. I would put some gusset's on there for more strength. All 20tons of pressure will be pushing on it. I would beef it up more then your have in these pics

I'm not exactly sure how I would beef it up more.  Should I add another bar on top of the bar that I have there for the dyes.  I've been wanting to beef it up more just not sure exactly how to go about that.  I'm getting ready to run over to harbor freight to pick up a stick welder since that will work better for me than the flux welder.  (Not to mention LIGHTER too lol)  If I have to grind that bar off I'll grind off the welds and re do it.

grind the weld off the top of the bar and lay a piece of that tube all the way across it and stick weld it to the frame 20 tons will bent flat bar easier than tube also the stick weld has a lot more potential for strength than the flux or mig welding when building a press its go big or go home

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dragoncutlery said:

grind the weld off the top of the bar and lay a piece of that tube all the way across it and stick weld it to the frame 20 tons will bent flat bar easier than tube also the stick weld has a lot more potential for strength than the flux or mig welding when building a press its go big or go home

Okay I'll have to clean up and grind off the pieces I made on the other piece of tube I have for that.  I'll do that today.  Fortunately I just got myself a stick welder too lol.  Working on welding that structure support across the dye plate.  I must say, this little harbor freight welder is a blast to weld with.  Its so much more enjoyable and yea it was a good buy.  At least electrodes will be pretty cheap for it to replenish lol.

Edited by AndrewB

Posted (edited)

Dont judge me too hard on this project lol I'm not the worlds best fabricator.  I'm mediocre at best.  How ever I did get more progress done on this thing today.  A lot A lot A lot of welding.  But that little inverter is a blast to weld with.  Worth the money spent.  Anyhow I do realize that my right or left side depending on how your looking at is a bit off.  I am working on a solution for that.  I'm thinking about welding on some steel to the bottom of that pipe so that it will come in contact with the ground.  I just had to call it quits today because of my back.  But at least I'm sticking with the project and not giving up on it.  LOL I just hope it works.  I do have one more 10 inch cut of pipe should I double up again?

IMG_20190407_141352174.jpg

Edited by AndrewB

Posted (edited)

Just gotta put dyes on the press and then I think she's done.  I'm just not sure exactly how I'm going to do the dyes.  I dunno if I should go over to HD and buy a chunk of 1/4 by 1 inch flat bar and weld it on with an over lapping piece so I can slide a dye in and out or what on that.  Or if I should just go with just a flat dye for this particular press.  I have 3/4 inch flat bar that I'm planning on using for the flat dyes.  I mean I'm not sure what else I would really need for it to forge damascus as far as dyes.  But yea I got the hydrolic jack fixed so it wont move.  Yes I did it up this way so I could tear it all down and remove the hydrolic jack.  So if I wanted to build a second press for say I can use that same jack.  I know my welds don't look great right now I'm still getting use to this little stick welder but hey they hold LOL.

Edited by AndrewB

I think the way I’m going to do the dyes is only have one type for this bar that’s currently on the press.  I still have a second piece of tube that I could use for a different type of dye.  

Okay so I opted for the first lift bar to be a flat faced dye.  And yes it is permanent.  No big deal but I can dismantle everything.  I'd have to take the jack out of course but that's not a big deal most of the forge welding I plan on doing is flat surfaced and I only require a flat dye at this point.  Not going to try anything too intriquite.  On the plus not at this point the forging press is done.  I will hopefully be able to test it out on Friday.  I still have a 5 layer billet of 1075/1080 and 15N20 Welded up on a rebar handle ready to go from the last hand hammer attempt.  I do plan on making a fullering dye for this but for now this is good enough.  I can say at least I  have a forging press now.  I just hope it works LOL and doesnt go snap snap on me the first time I use it.

IMG_20190409_104556698.jpg

It might just be the light or the angle. but it looks like the left side of the support isnt flat like the right side. 

It's the angle you're looking at lol.  it wasn't a very good one.  But yea the bar is flat.

I thought as much, but with 22 tons of pressure being used, its always best to double check. 

Yea, I did put a level on it.  So it was good when I welded it up.  But my driveway also has some problems as well so it's not perfectly flat either.

Good effort, but I would strongly suggest not putting your head anywhere near that when its got some load on it. The frame will go bang, perhaps not in the first 50 times you load it up, but when you get complacent with it. 

The best way to visualise what 22 tons is, is imagine 22 cars hanging from that press frame, over your head. Exercise caution accordingly ! 

• Thanks 1