Hi I'm looking for a 2x72 belt grinder for a beginner all the belt grinders I've seen are new and very expensive I don't have the experience to buy a 2500 usd belt grinder anyone interested in selling one? 

Hi, it might help to know where you are located. I have one I have been trying to make a decision what to do with but I would not want to ship it. 

• Like 1

You can also build one for far cheaper than just out right buying one as well.  If my building skills were better and up to par I'd build one myself and I'm actually considering building one just to be able to say I did build one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Check out the Build Moe's Grinder on the DVDs page and the Grinders page at  www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.  You can probably build the frame out of your scrap pile.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Coe
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

000_1181.JPGHave you got the experience in fabricating or metal working. If so building your own is an option!! This is mine when it was nearly completed! I had somewhere slightly over $300 in it and that was mostly metal, wheels, pullies, bolts and such. The motor cost me about $150. So ended up with about $450. in the whole thing. The biggest thing everything has to be square and true or it will never run correctly! Then you will begin to make modifications and changes!! :lol:

Edited by C Craft
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, C Craft said:

000_1181.JPGHave you got the experience in fabricating or metal working. If so building your own is an option!! This is mine when it was nearly completed! I had somewhere slightly over $300 in it and that was mostly metal, wheels, pullies, bolts and such. The motor cost me about $150. So ended up with about $450. in the whole thing. The biggest thing everything has to be square and true or it will never run correctly! Then you will begin to make modifications and changes!! :lol:

Wow. That is amazing... I don't have the skill to do that... I could outsource it to a blacksmith but I'm afraid he won't make it true... I have a used treadmill that I could use as a motor... But I'm thinking I need a blueprint and instructions to give the guy otherwise it's gonna be a fiasco. 

19 hours ago, Wayne Coe said:

Check out the Build Moe's Grinder on the DVDs page and the Grinders page at  www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.  You can probably build the frame out of your scrap pile.

Wayne

Thanks so much Wayne I'll do this and get a tool maker to help me maybe to do the skeleton. I'll let you know if I have problems. But as I said to c. Craft, I'm afraid it won't run true and it'll be a fiasco. But hey... That's the only way to learn... Right? 

On 4/6/2019 at 11:06 AM, AndrewB said:

You can also build one for far cheaper than just out right buying one as well.  If my building skills were better and up to par I'd build one myself and I'm actually considering building one just to be able to say I did build one.

On 4/6/2019 at 10:07 AM, Cody Killgore said:

Hi, it might help to know where you are located. I have one I have been trying to make a decision what to do with but I would not want to ship it. 

Hey Cody I'm in Mexico... You could take it apart at least the wheels and the parts that could break. That'd be easier to put back together once it's here. My zip is 11700. My email is paulcheca@hotmail.com if you feel like you want to get rid of it. 

Paul, if you follow the instructions on the DVD and make sure everything is square, especially the motor to the frame you should have no problems.

• Like 1

Paul here are the same drawings I built my KMG clone off of! 

http://www.knifehelp.net/media/docs/GrinderPlans.pdf

This is not the original set I had, cause they did not have pics of one made out of aluminum!! 

• Like 1

One more thing guys... What type of motor do you recommend to use for the grinder? Horsepower rpm (min and max) speeds, etc. 

Thanks! 

On 4/7/2019 at 10:16 PM, C Craft said:

Paul here are the same drawings I built my KMG clone off of! 

http://www.knifehelp.net/media/docs/GrinderPlans.pdf

This is not the original set I had, cause they did not have pics of one made out of aluminum!! 

Thanks! 

1.5 hp or 2 hp.  3 phase if you are using a VFD. VFD should have a NEMA 4X enclosure and the motor should be TEFC.

Wayne

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wayne Coe said:

1.5 hp or 2 hp.  3 phase if you are using a VFD. VFD should have a NEMA 4X enclosure and the motor should be TEFC.

Wayne

Wait wait not so fast... What's vfd nema 4x and tefc. Where would you buy this motor Wayne? I found one on ebay but I don't know if its the one. I found a 2 hp 3600rpm 2 speed motor. 

37 minutes ago, Paul Checa said:

What's vfd nema 4x and tefc.

VFD = Variable Frequency Drive, NEMA 4X is a certification for a sealed box for a VFD, TEFC = Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled which is a motor description/rating.  

Check out Wayne's site, link in his signature.  

• Like 1

Keep in mind that most grinder motors are 1750 RPM.  If you go with variable speed VFD, the motor must be a three-phase and input power must be 240 volts.  And also, that TEFC specification refers to the motor housing: Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled. This means there are no holes for metal dust to enter and short out the motor.  Other letters you will see on motors that tell you not to use them for this application are ODP (Open Drip Proof, these let dust in) and TENV (Totally Enclosed Non-Ventilated, these require an external fan).  

Excellent Allan I'll make sure it's totally enclosed and fan cooled but do I want a 3600 rpm motor though? Is that good? 

That is up to you.  They are scary fast, but have less torque.  I use a 1750 rpm with step pulleys for speed control, and there are times I would like it faster, but it works for me.

45 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

That is up to you.  They are scary fast, but have less torque.  I use a 1750 rpm with step pulleys for speed control, and there are times I would like it faster, but it works for me.

If I have a speed adjuster it helps right? The thing is I'm tired of slow I have one that takes me foreeeever hahaha. But here's the million dollar question what do I want. Torque or speed? Or both. Should I just hook it up to a mustang and floor it? Hahah just kidding. 

For a brushless motor you do not want to use a rheostat .

It sounds like you do not have very much knowledge about motor so you might want to call me and I will try to walk you through it.

Wayne

• Like 1

If by adjuster, you mean VFD, then yes it helps. I've never had a torque issue with a 3450rpm motor even at very low speeds with a VFD. I've yet to bog down my 2hp motors. Many VFD's allow you to double the speed of a quality motor. So some people buy the 1725rpm motors then double the speed with the VFD. With that combo, you're getting extra torque on the low end but sacrificing torque on the high end. A lot of people do that. But... it never made a whole lot of sense to me. When I'm really pushing hard, it's usually me hogging off steel at high speed. Then as I slow the speed down, I'm making lighter and lighter passes. So, at least for me, I want my torque on the high end.

The speed at which the motor drives your belts is also dependent on the size of your drive wheel. My 3450rpm motor grinder has a 4" drive wheel. My 1725rpm motor grinder has a 6" drive wheel.

I guess what I'm saying is... it doesn't really matter. Either speed will work but, if you want fast, go with the 3450.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wayne Coe said:

For a brushless motor you do not want to use a rheostat .

It sounds like you do not have very much knowledge about motor so you might want to call me and I will try to walk you through it.

Wayne

I will! Can I get your email, I'll get your number then and call you after easter break. I also have a treadmill motor I need to see what that has inside maybe that will work and I can save some money. 

The treadmill motor is not TEFC.

My e-mail and phone # is in my signature here.

Wayne