Joshua States

A tale of 6 blades.

So am I...…….:blink:

If any of our "newer" makers get anything out of this thread, I hope it is that things just don't go the way you plan, most of the time.

Any way, the best laid plans often go awry. The second side of that practice piece didn't turn out right. I am now very grateful that I had the foresight to create a practice piece. After that little slip that made a flat line in exactly the wrong location, I realized that I have a bunch of really good quality files, and it would be best to slow the process down and do things by hand. I also learned that it would be best to leave the profile shaping of the round ends into bishop hat shapes until later in the process.
So the real guard went back into the file jig and using a lathe file I cut the bevels. This went surprisingly quickly.

File cuts.jpg

I sanded these flats down on the disc sander at 400 grit. I finished filing with an 8-inch mill file, so they were pretty smooth from the file.
I have to smooth out those ridges caused by the file stop. First I bevel the edges.

Sanded cuts.jpg

Then I went back to the 10 inch wheel at a very slow speed and blended the ridges down.

Smoothed out.jpg

Then I shaped the ends. Now it's hand sanding time with some 400 grit paper! Yay!
I also used some very fine needle files to move the lines around.
Side 1

Side 1.jpg

Side 2

Side 2.jpg

There's a little more work to do on this and then I will sand the profiles and try and smooth out the visible bottoms of the curves and the ridges on the surfaces.

• Like 2

Just awesome Josh B)

• Thanks 1

That's why this thread is pinned. B)

• Thanks 1

Looking sweet.   Speaking as a New Maker and best laid plans...  I have been following your methods, learning and making lots of mistakes.  

• Thanks 1

Preparing for the final assembly. 

Full shot.jpg

Guard close up.jpg

Hamon 1.jpg

Name shot.jpg

Pommel.jpg

• Like 7

Love the little bit of file work on the spacers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 of 6 are now done. One is on the injured/reserved list after a catastrophic bluing accident.

Group shot V2.jpg

• Like 6

Well, Josh, I can say I approve of the remaining 5!  Beautiful knives, one and all.

• Thanks 1

Tremendous effort Josh.

• Thanks 1