John N

210mm Gyuto (wrought iron damascus clad)

Hello Forum,

Its been too long since I posted here ! - still pop in for a browse quite often though.

Ive been fairly productive making wise (by my standards) for the last year or so, and seem to be finding my groove with chefs knives. I have a strong bias on the forging of the blade, and forging as much geometry into them as I can, I am finding my way with grinding and handles, but a bit of me still views them as necessary evils so I can do more forging!

This is one of the last ones I have done, the cladding is about 80 layers of wrought iron, mild, and bandsaw blade, over a core of Takefu Blue paper steel. This one has got a pure Ni barrier layer as well. The handle is Bog Oak. 

dDiLjLx.jpg

PBtuMox.jpg

ofw1I7A.jpg

Cx6D7Ut.jpg

• Like 7

Freakin' gorgeous, John!  I like how you incorporated the Mancunian bee into your mark, too. B)  Was it quenched in Boddingtons? ;)  I know you're more of a Strongbow man.  

Thanks Alan ! - amazing spot on the Bee Manchester reference ! Boddies closed the brewery in Manchester, and I have not had a drop since :(

I had a long think about the name, and logo for the stamp (about 3 years.....) and decided if my endeavours evolve into a business in the future the 'local' geographical name would be better than my surname. Although making a blade from a file, and then re-stamping it Nicholson would keep me chuckling for hours :rolleyes:

For those in the dark, the Bee has always been the logo of my home city of Manchester, symbolising hard work. We are grafters if nothing else !

I first learned about the bee via Boddingtons, as that was one of the few draughtflow cans of English ale we could get here back in the dark days of the early 2000s.  Been doing a little more research on Manchester lately since a favorite former student of my wife's is headed to uni there for grad school in the film studies department, wants to make documentaries.   Then lately been on a spree watching youtube vids of guys magnet fishing the canals.  Amazing how many knives they pull up!  All crap, of course, and I don;t think I'd want to touch that canal water...

Holy crap that is gorgeous.  The steel is amazing.

Beautiful blade.  I think Wes summed up my thoughts on the steel too

Sensual, love the nickel barrier layer too, looks great! Is that practical or cosmetic? Highly productive indeed!

James

Wow, that is stunning.

It's the bee's knees! ;)

Wow!  Nicely done sir.