Sign in to follow this  
Troels Saabye

using files not belt grinder

Okay

I recently lost my belt grinder (or more precise the 380V outlet to power it) and therefor began using files. After using files I realized it was quite a lot of fun - my question now : what grit size can files be ? I got a bastard mill file,rasps, finishing files - but I don't know how fine finishing files can get ?

This is an awesome thread that Alan started. I personally think it should be pinned. I hope this helps.

What I didn't go into in that thread is Swiss pattern files.  You may have more access to thkse than I do, and they use a different naming system.  They are always double-cut, but come in six to eight grades of fineness, much finer than American pattern files.  I am not more familiar with them than that because they are quite expensive over here.

• Like 1

As much as everyone likes their big 2x72 grinders, I grab a file first.  Even when I did my last knife project, I did most of it all by draw filing - and enjoyed it more as with any grinder, one slip can make a mess pretty quick.  There is no better way to make a section of blade or whatever flat and true than with a file. You may think you need a surface grinder and yeah it's nice - but the file is the first precision tool for the smithy.

I'm making tenons pretty regularly with my work, I forge them with tooling these days to make a nice flush fit, but sometimes I still need to turn to my file to take out that 1000th on a inch for a good fit.

Alan - yep I have some of those :) and they are possible to get over here. 

Daniel -  as of now I only find it amuzing, as for the looks not so good ;) it takes some practice using those files

On 4/12/2019 at 5:48 AM, Jeremy Blohm said:

This is an awesome thread that Alan started. I personally think it should be pinned.

If my vote counts for anything, i would agree, its worthy of being pinned. Lots of good information there. 

2 hours ago, Will W. said:

If my vote counts for anything, i would agree, its worthy of being pinned. Lots of good information there. 

Okay, then.  It's kind of egotistical to pin one's own thread, but since you guys have voted, so be it. B)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1