Kerri Duncan

Setting up a grinding room- Anyone tried a Dust Deputy for metal grinder dust

Looking at the cyclone style "Dust Deputy" and wondered if anyone has used or has input on using them in a "metal" (not wood) shop?

Did a cursory search and have read several threads for dust collection- Im setting up a grinding section to the garage thanks to a recent surface grinder find that followed me home. So figured I would move the grinders into a dedicated space to contain as much as possible.

Read Neils air baffle cleaner and that would be the best option- but Im in a one car garage and only have a limited area to play in. 

I already use 3M respirators and have an overhead circulating filter like used in woodshops. My best "air filters" are actually strong magnets hung about the shop in baggies to catch errant floaties (easy to clean- turn the baggie inside out off the magnet and toss!)

I have 2 of the 20 inch box fans as well with furnace filters going in the main garage area to keep dust down as well.

The steel dust deputy would work, but there is the risk of explosion from fine powder and sparks.  To get around that I have seen people make a water trap first stage with the cyclone as a second stage.  The water trap is just another lidded bucket with the intake pipe going through the lid, stopping a few inched from the bottom, and the outlet pipe flush with the lid.  Add water up to the level of the inlet pipe and it catches sparks before they can get into the cyclone.  

Of course, the water trap first stage actually removes or greatly reduces the need for a cyclone to begin with...

I had looked up the version from Smock Knives on Utube- makes sense and your note about "removes or greatly reduces the need for a cyclone to begin with..." does ring true- But I am moving some electronic thingimabobs into the shop and have a microscope as well to contend with the dust with. (And mama bear dont like the tot playing in the dust either...) So Ill be putting covers on a LOT of things as well as the ventilation!

I appreciate your input!

Thank you

15 hours ago, Kerri Duncan said:

... and have a microscope as well to contend with the dust

That is not going to end well.  Been there, done that, and messed it up royally.  I would suggest you give serious consideration to finding another home for the microscope.

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

That is not going to end well.  Been there, done that, and messed it up royally.  I would suggest you give serious consideration to finding another home for the microscope.

Brian- I just cant do anything about it. I truly wish I could have a better space. Had to move the engraving setup (beginners stereo-scope and ball) to the bench as the downstairs has been re-organized for family stuff.

Only other place I can put it would be in the outside shed. I've sewn a cover for it and will be building a hard storage box as well for it and the arm-stand.

Yeah, I've been there and understand. 

Be relentless about making sure your hard cover is always over the microscope when you are not using it.

• Like 1

Brian- good to know- thank you!