Sign in to follow this  
Joël Mercier

Info on this drill press please

I can read Super Valmer and It's a 1/2hp. From the looks of it, it seems like an industrial quality tool but also a bit old. What worries me is the availability of replacement parts but it really seems like a steal! I've already got a drill press but mine is huge and takes a lot of precious shop room. 

Screenshot_20190416-111756.png

looks beefy!

Looks like it's a high-speed drill press from a quick google: possibly 1500-10000 RPM, though the one in the link below looks to be 3-phase and is in Europe. If the pulleys and motor pole count are the same, it'll be around 1800-12000 RPM on 60 Hz mains. A bargain if that's what you need, but not really a general-purpose tool.

http://unimachines.at/tischbohrmaschine-super-valmer-model-6-1970-14105.html

Thanks Tim! I'll make sure to take a look at speeds!

I called for more info and it indeed has a minimum speed of 1500rpm... <_< it's a bit fast.

That's way too fast for drilling steel/metal, wood is what that ones designed for....................

I agree that is pretty fast for general purpose use, but for that low of a price I would buy it and look into changing up the belts or the motor to get the speed down to a more usable range.  It looks like a nice stout little machine that would serve well once tamed down a bit.

I drove down to the seller to see it in person. From the way I saw it, the only way to lower the speed further would be to replace the motor for a 1700rpm and even so it would still run at 750rpm. It's got only 2 sets of pulley and has already the smallest possible at motor and largest possible at the front. A larger one would not fit in the case. 

It was very solid and precisely machined, but like Clifford said, not made for drilling steel...bummer