I cut this knife out of an off cut of a Damascus billet that a friend gave to me, It is sanded to 600 grit, And like always.....Ive got questions, Im going to assume this Damascus is made of 1084 and 15n20 

It is not heat treated, So i'm wondering if I can heat treat this the same as O1 or 80crv2, Basically just normalizing three times and quenching, and does Damascus need to he tempered differently?

The handle on this one is going to be Cherry birch Burl.

image.thumb.jpg.0a79fe49ac87329ff5eee173bd9e0468.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.ebfb58ad0c7ddd2953ded98aa8e4aaf2.jpg

It would be really helpful to know the composition, because with Damascus you HT for the pickier steel.  That's why 1084/15N20 is such a good blend, the HT is the same for both.  If it is 01/L6, it's gonna be extremely picky, will air harden, and might delaminate in quenching.  

Go with decalescence and good luck!  

Posted (edited)

Alright, Lets hope I can see this decalescence magic stuff. :P I jut have to stare into a coal forge.. Not very forgiving on my eyes.

Edited by Conner Michaux

That's what the pipe is for, dude! B)

As ive said before, I will never heat treat without a pipe, :lol: The one time I tried without one, I burned and blistered the knife... And I don't want to do that again..

5 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

, Lets hope I can see this decalescence magic stuff

Do it at night with the lights off. Much easier to see

I still haven't heat treated it yet, Ive had some family visiting so once they leave I will have to to do it, And I have a question concerning traditional Puukko knives, Im really not sure how to explain it, why does the bevel come up about 1/2 inch, but at the tip theres only 1/8-1/4 inch of bevel?, I honestly have know idea how to explain it, but if you understand please explain.

mikko1.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

why does the bevel come up about 1/2 inch, but at the tip theres only 1/8-1/4 inch of bevel?

If you look at the knife pointed at yourself edge up, the outline of the bevel forms a sharper triangle.

Looking down at the spine you'll see the tip forms a  more equal sided triangle.

If the bevel was the same height all the way the tip that would result in a sharper, thinner tip.

The result of that bevel is a stronger tip.  

My idea of the Americanized tanto is a tip with axe geometry that will go though everything, with an edge that will actually cut behind that......this is an understated version of that :D 

Thanks for the info!

Posted (edited)

Okay here it is after heat treat. The heat really brought out the pattern.  And I didn't realize till now, my dog is a photobomber.

IMG_3090.jpeg  Is this the right stuff for etching? https://www.micromark.com/Ferric-Chloride-Etchant-16-oz-_2

Edited by Conner Michaux

Posted (edited)

Yep, that is your garden variety feric chloride.  I've used that very supplier.  I also get it from amazon.  I dillute mine with 4 parts distilled water, but others used different strengths.  The actual dilution isn't all that important, but slower etching does seem to be better (within reason)

...and yes, the contrast really pops after heat treating :)

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Posted (edited)

Are there any websites I can buy a Broach for hidden tangs, Or do I have to make one?

Edited by Conner Michaux

Posted (edited)

Sanded all the gunk off the blade and tang, I’m going to work on making a broach until the handle material arrives. 

600 grit finish gets scratched so easily I’ve just had it in my pocket for a few hours and it’s already got a few little marks on it.

image.jpg

Edited by Conner Michaux

Well this is gonna sound stupid, Monday morning I sat the knife down on the kitchen counter, and now I haven’t been able to find it since then,I’m hoping it didn’t get somehow thrown away. 

That sucks.....hope you find it!

The big couch in our TV room is what I like to call "The Black hole" . If someone looses something, the first place we look is the that couch , and we figured out if the leg rest is up, it opens up the black hole a little bit more, the Puukko has been found, and after long lost my Para 2 was found!   

The tang on this is just over 1-3/4 inches, How long of a handle can I put on it, without a pin?

What can I darken the etch with? Ive heard you can do that with coffee, but I don't have any and my family doesn't drink it, so is there anything else I can use?

Just buy the smallest jar of instant coffee you can find and make a super-strong batch.

50$ later...... Gorgeous looking cherry birch burl for the handle. :lol:

i wiped some water on it in the picture.  

Oh and it is not stabilized. 

883EC253-13DC-4C32-B877-FC0315D3A31C.jpeg

• Like 1

Would it be a bad idea if I were to drill the holes in the handle with a hand drill?   

If that's what you have, that's what you use.