Ron Benson

How much pressure?

I've been watching a ton of you tube videos on making knives - especially how to handle scales, (pun intended). :P As a woodworker, I've always used just enough pressure to make sure that there is full contact between the pieces, but not squeeze out the glue, and that's what I was planning to do with wood scales glued to a steel knife. However, there is a difference in wood glue versus epoxy, but is it enough of a difference to change how I glue?

The reason I am questioning my technique is that pressure used in the videos I have watched varies from what I would consider vtoo light to very heavy. One guy uses his vise and adds a long pipe to really crank up the pressure. I'm probably over thinking, so I thought I'd ask what people here do...

If anything, I would say epoxy needs more of a glue line than what you are used to with wood glues, so I suggest you error to the side of less pressure.

Squeezing scales in place with a vice stands a good chance of squeezing out too much epoxy and starving the joint.

Posted (edited)

Another trick is to drill a bunch of small holes in the tang and in the scales. Of course those in the scales have to be shallow. These holes will act as epoxy rivets. 

I also grind the tang a bit hollow in the center to prevent starvation. 

Edited by Joël Mercier

Thanx Brian and Joel. I have extra holes in the tang, and I used an angle grinder to put some groves in the tang too. I will do the same to the scales before gluing ~ Ron

Epoxy all you need is a couple of clamps that are securely tightened.  As @Brian Dougherty It is similar to wood glue.  I've only used to clamps to clamp down scales during epoxy curing and drying and tightened them just enough to hold the piece tight and that seemed to work just fine for me.  I just let it cure for the recommended time on the epoxy package.

I drill lots of holes in the tang, and then clamp the mothers love out of it.