Sign in to follow this  
Dan P.

Cutler's anvil

I bought a job lot of tools from a surgical instrument making firm, including an anvil and some cool hammers and weird bottom stamps/dies.

Interesting stuff. One of the things I like about the hammers is the rectangular eye. For some reason some tools have rectangular eyes- carpenters' hammers, adzes, some hoes, and I'm sure a few other things, including sheffield forgers' hammers. Anyway, I think it's a great idea, if only because making a rectangular drift is so very very much easier than an oval one.

Here are some photos. Sorry to use Instagram links, it's the most convenient way for me to share photos;

• Like 2

I am quite jealous now, thank you! :lol:. What a wonderful haul...

• Like 1

WOW........jealousy is an understatement. The best part is you have tooling for the anvil. I need to make some tooling for my anvil. I just don't know how to go about making the dovetail. I know its probably easier than I think. Would it be possible to get a picture of one of the toolings dovetail to get an idea of how to go about it?

• Like 1

Wow!  It looks like you have at least 6 guillotine tools in that lot plus that set of dies for making a spiral textured handle looks interesting.  That's a lot more than a cutlers anvil.

Doug

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I just don't know how to go about making the dovetail. I know its probably easier than I think. Would it be possible to get a picture of one of the toolings dovetail to get an idea of how to go about it?

I will try and remember to do that. Seems both male and female dovetails are tapered. The male dovetail in the tooling is minimal, and seems to have been made rough and ready in house, though I can't quite work out how yet. 

• Thanks 1

There is some nice stake anvils in there also. Man you got a lot of tooling with that baby!!!

An interesting bit of tooling for forming bone chisel (?) handles

IMG_20190424_160037.jpg

IMG_20190424_160028.jpg

IMG_20190424_160021.jpg

That would be my guess.  Nose job, anyone? :ph34r:

I can't figure out the little nipple on top though. Why? Presuming it would have been struck with a steel hammer. 

Perhaps better not to know. 

Maybe traction for a rawhide mallet? Wouldn't want any oopses on the nose job....:blink:

47 minutes ago, SteveShimanek said:

Maybe traction for a rawhide mallet? Wouldn't want any oopses on the nose job....:blink:

Ha ha! I'd better wash my hands first too! 

It might have been a temporary feature to help with one of the manufacturing process post forging.