Sign in to follow this  
Mike Andersson

More heat

I am having some trouble getting my two burner majestic forge up to forge welding heat. I have fire brick closing all of one side except a small slice and the other side closed off so the opening is just big enough to get the work piece inside. I have the valves cranked on high and I can let the piece sit there for 15 minutes even after I have been heating and beating the piece for over 45 minutes. So the forge is heated and working great but I just can't get it to welding heat. Any tips? Do I need buy one with more burners to get to this heat?

Since that appears to be a venturi forge, I'd say start by blocking the doors a bit less.  Back pressure is no good for venturi.  

venturi forge? Is that the name of a two burner model? It's made by majestic forge and it's called the knife makers model. It's the same as the ones they use on forged in fire only one less burner. 

“Venturi” is the term used to describe the shape of the classical Naturally-Aspirated mixer. It tends to get used (incorrectly) for any Naturally Aspirated burner: one which does not use an air blower to provide the air.

Get the back-pressure down by reducing the restriction on the openings and see if it improves. If you still can’t get it hot enough, have Dragons Breath and the gas jets are changeable, fitting the next size down jets will probably get the temperature significantly higher.

I hear those back pressure issues all the time with venturi burners. It's weird, because no matter how small my doors are, my ventury burner designed by James Spurgeon doesn't seem to care. Some designs are more sensitive than others I guess...

Backpressure is the exact issue I was / am having with mine as well. I closed off the back entirely and the front down to the width of the stock I was working. Had 8-10 inch flames shooting out the front and couldnt get it past a mid orange heat. Opened up the back and front doors and it jumped to yellow heat with a nice yellow dragons breath out both ends. 

Still have not tried to forge weld in it since doing that change, but its been WAY too wet here recently, Going to give it another coat of ITC-100 before I give it a shot because I really want to go with fluxless welding. 

ITC-100 is an infrared-reflective coating.  It allows you to get another 100 degrees or so with no further insulation.  Plistix and Metricote make similar products that are cheaper.

ITC-100 is terribly expensive, especially when you compare it to Metrikote, which some smiths say works better in a gas forge.

Check out the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne