John N

180 mm Feather pattern Gyuto (WIP)

Work in progress, excluding the interesting bit which was the forging.... sorry :huh:

This blade started out as a 210 or 220 when I forged it a year or so ago. I got a bit giddy straightening it (been doing a lot of san mai, which is much more compliant) and managed to snap the tip off it.

It went in the 'disgusted, i'm not finishing it' pile, until I found it on good Friday, and wanted a simple quick job to work on. Re-profiled it to a 180 mm, ground the warps out of it, and got it hand sanded to 80 grit. Quick vanity etch at 80 grit and im pretty happy with it now.

Ill post some pics as its finished up over the next week or so, and will try and get some pics of the 'wet wheel' horizontal franken-grinder I built. Its improved my grinding 20 fold since I built it ! Ive had a few revelations about grinding recently that might be worth a separate post for discussion to see what other people do ? - It eventually dawned on me the 'KMG' type grinder, belt running towards the ground, is bloody awful to use (for me) in the standard configuration. It really does not make much sense.

Anyhoo, here is stumpy gyuto. As the old saying goes, we dont make mistakes, we make shorter knives :rolleyes:

vnhoc4w.jpg

ZkR45yD.jpg

8S6ln7T.jpg

lCv0VGn.jpg

• Like 4

Ooh, that one definitely deserves to live.  Gald your finishing it off, and showing the progress.  I'm in for the ride :)

Nice!  And yes, please do start a thread on your grinder, those are always fun.  

Posted (edited)

Very nice!

And I second what Alan said... I’m getting ready to build a grinder myself, and inspiration is always appreciated lol

Edited by Eric Morgan

Got caught in the flow with this one, as I only had 1/2 day to take it from rough sanded, as above, to finished sharpened knife. I have very limited making time. Long and short of it this is not a 'work in progress thread' but the knife is finished :) - all feedback appreciated.

Handle is, I think, Ringed Gidgee, with a 925 silver spacer.

kIG2fc0.jpg

jbHSBhW.jpg

kFnJD7q.jpg

tM6LevO.jpg

• Like 5

Another beauty, John!

• Like 1

I like this one a lot! Beautiful pattern and handle. The profile geometry is just right and it seems comfy.

Very well done John!

• Like 1

It’s an incredible beautiful piece of work & art. My mind is spinning!

If this is an example of what’s in your “throw away” pile, might I come visit?

Great work!

Gary LT

That is epic! Looks like it will cut like a laser too :o

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, James Higson said:

That is epic! Looks like it will cut like a laser too :o

Thanks James, loving your new beard :) 

Not cut anything with it yet, sent it to Tom (I think you met him at Owens last year) for sharpening. Did not insure it, so odds on it will go missing :rolleyes:

The next one out of the 'pile of doom' is the epic, patented, Turdyplop pattern gyuto, a pattern I was taught to forge by a man my dog dislikes, and the only man I know who has taken a sample from a deer :wacko: 

Edited by John N

Posted (edited)

Yeah I think I remember, the ludicrously tall one? Haha. Yep, odds are pretty on. Never lost something in the post but sods law and all that :lol: is he doing that weird 'S' grind thingy he was talking about? Not sure how I feel about that, straight lines are sexy.

The time of the turdyplop is upon us! Soon everyone will see us as visionaries :lol: and it isn't just a sample he takes from deer, he jacks them off and grows them in dishes! Fine dexterity he then transfers to screwing up pattern welding and making better patterns!

Edited by James Higson
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Turdyploope pattern will be the next 'W's'  - every one will be trying to work it out ! - I will forge the perfect Turdyploope pattern, where none of the doubleyous escape onto the blade! 

Did you finish your half of the original billet of this material ?

The guy your thinking of is Andrew, Tom is the guy from Cardiff, with the scary knowledge of Japanese knives. Tom is sharpening the blade, just the few thou at the edge. He's forgotten more about making chefs knives sharp that I know! 

I got the feather blade to cut kitchen roll, he can get them to slice damp kitchen roll. Its only a bit better, but actually about 1000x better :D

edit, I did not see Sam mix up the steels, after he was specifically told to put the different materials in separate buckets, and then not remember which bucket had which steel in it......... just saying ;) :D

Edited by John N
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I know a machinist, and have him do some work from time to time. His favorite phrase is "couple thou" :lol:

The knife is unreal btw. Very nice! 

Edited by Zeb Camper

John, as someone who just made a feather pattern chef's knife. Wow! that pattern is so beautiful and subtle. it is patterns inside of patterns. mine was very stark and basic (as i specified, i was going for a very bold aesthetic with my flared tip and bright blue handle etc.) and yours is just the other end of the spectrum. All grace and subtlety. what a lovely Knife.

Nothing bad about that John. I love those "raised from the dead" projects. I am intrigued by this "turdyplop pattern" you speak of. Please elaborate.

The 'Turdyploop' pattern is a pattern I forged with @James Higson, and big Sam, when they visited one day. Kind of a modified 'w' pattern if memory serves, where the 'w's (should) escape and flow into a canvas of mono steel in the billet.

There was a problem with the pattern development though, I am a bit 'surgical clinical' on my larger power hammer, and only one of the 'w's dared to escape into the mono steel. At the moment of reveal in the ferric, we stood excitedly waiting to see what we had created....

It was a bit like when Baldrick created 'Green' in Blackadder....:huh: we stood there, amazed. The solitary 'W' that dared break rank sitting in the mono steel. We all thought of something nice to say about our creation. The kindest descriptive metaphor we could summon was like a turd splashing into a WC,........ and so Turdyploop pattern was born. :o:D;)

Can it ever be recreated ? who knows.... would anyone want to recreate it ? I suspect not. But for sure, that day a pattern was born.

• Haha 3