Sign in to follow this  
Steve Nowacki

San Mai and Koa vest Bowie.

Evening gents

The blade for this vest Bowie is 6" long and 3/16" on the spine, it has a core of 80Cr V2 which has been laminated with Hitachi Shiro 2 and outer layers of 431 stainless. I've not used these steels in this combination before and I was really pleased how the carbon in the stainless has migrated into the Shiro 2 layers. The steel single branch hand guard has been cold blued and the handle is a lovely piece of stabilised Hawaiian Koa held with one stainless pin, the overall length of the knife is 11 1/8".

The double welted sheath has been dyed walnut, with a black patterned front panel with small domed pins surrounding an inlayed python skin panel. I hope you like her, thank you for taking the time to look and all questions and critique very welcome.

Happy Easter

Steve

DSCF5564.jpg

DSCF5565.jpg

DSCF5566.jpg

DSCF5567.jpg

DSCF5568.jpg

DSCF5569.jpg

• Like 7

Nicely done.  Having made a  few attempts at that, I really do appreciate how difficult it is to pull of a san-mai blade that has a good visual balance.  You even kept the clip nice and tidy.

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments Brian.

Steve

Very nice package!  

• Like 1

That knife is pretty much spot-on Steve.....I love it!

• Like 1

Good work all round there Steve. I like her a lot.

• Like 1

Nice work Steve!  That blade is sweet

• Like 1

Thanks Wes, I'm glad you like it buddy.

Very nice work on that blade.  A lot of skill shown in forge welding stainless steel with carbon steel.  It also makes me run over in my mind what you had to do to assemble that sheath which is also first rate.  It's almost good enough looking to make me like brut de forge finishes.

Doug

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments Doug, I have to say that I love the way a san mai blade looks when it's finished, but it can break your heart when it doesn't weld properly. As you know you only get one chance with this stuff and if there's a problem with a weld and it goes ping it stays pinged.

Steve