Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

A blade full of work-arounds

Posted (edited)

Hey guys! I set out to make a KITH knife today, but wound up with too much steel (as usual). Since this was melted down wire bloom mixed with scrap-mascus and a good piece of 1075 I figured I'd make a small seaxy type blade. 

Well, some one walks in and I get distracted and go to town beveling the preform before I forge the profile and distal so my center bar is doing some weird stuff. During beveling my homemade steel started to delam so I dumped a bunch of flux in it and coaxed it back together gently with a shwacker. By now my seax looks more like a tanto. 

All my grinding belts were worn out so I used a stone wheel and my new Grobet files (which ain't no Kobalts). Once I got it all beveled out I found out I got another delam. 

So now I'm trying to figure out one more run around on that delam. Leave it? Grind it out? Move the tang further onto the blade? 

Any ideas on what this could be made into? 

20190427_182216.jpg

20190427_182220.jpg

20190427_182348.jpg

20190427_182345.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper
Misspell

Slap a habaki on it and call it good?

• Like 2

Up to you.  They all look good, and the delam is not a structural problem.  Just cosmetic.  You are allowed to cover those up.  ;)

• Like 1

Huzzah! 

This is still up for critique btw. Suggestions on fittings& such?

20190501_172944.jpg

I think this one doesnt want to be a knife. After carefully polishing the blade and fitting the habaki just right; I found a crack just 1/16" or so deep right in the middle of the blade edge. I've gotta grind it out and re-grind the bevels, re-polish, and make a new habaki... I'm gonna try to put another copper wedge in and solder more meat into the existing habaki, but the old solder may become porous if I keep heating it. 

This is a very appropriate title for this one I think....

Yeah, that is beginning to sound like the very expensive pile of scrap steel under the forge table.  :(

Yeah, can't let this thing win though. I aint got it in me. It will be a drudgingly, slow and painful struggle until one of us conforms to the other. After fixing the blade and habaki though, I dont think I'll have the steam to put a handle on. 

Oooh this is a good lookin Blade! And you said this was for KITH right? 

• Like 1

Thanks Conner!  It was for kith originally, but once I figured out I had too much steel to fit the requirements, I just forged something bigger instead. I gotta start on my kith soon though. 

Here's some pics of the finished knife part at least. I'm pretty pleased with the finish product considering what I went through to even salvage it.

Its white ash and buffalo horn with a white oak peg thingy. I was doing a copper butt cap ("koshirea" or whatevs) but I had an unfortunate soldering accident and then threw the remainder of the fitting to the ground and stomped it and I felt much better afterward :)

Not sure if I'm gonna do a saya. I dont care for such fiddly work. 

20190503_182528.jpg

20190503_181959.jpg

20190503_182113.jpg

• Like 1

I like these last two pics. Reminds me of some foreign jungle.

Nice one! I've got a work around blade on the counter too. It stares at me with beady eyes...but it'll wait :lol: I'm taking a small break

Thanks! I like it too. We can imagine it's some japanese forest.  My signature tree was at my old house so I had to get creative. 

Thanks Joël! You ought to try a blade like this. You being the finitiob master and all; I think you might like it. 

I'll have to complete my orders and reline my forge before I can forge weld again...

There's a bunch of things I want to try when I'll actually can :lol:

P.s I did not even notice the bamboo forest until now, guess I was too focused on the main thingie 

WOW!! That looks awesome!

• Like 1