Doug Webster

First Reproduction Katana

Last night after weeks of work I water quenched my first Katana.  This morning I was convinced I would find a cracked piece of 1075. 

To my surprise we have a solid, hardened blade. I can't stop smiling.

I stand on the shoulder of giants who shared their wisdom and knowledge.  I want to say thank you! 

Studio_20190428_071613.jpg

• Like 5

WooHoo!  Aldo's low-Mn 1075 is the only steel I feel moderately safe water quenching.

That's awesome man! I hope you share the next steps, or at least the final result!

Thanks for the feedback.   Here's a quick pic after removing the clay.  I used Waltre's method; quenched 4 seconds in 125 F water then into 300 F canola for 10 minutes then tempered on a BBQ at 400F.  Still have some warping and wished I had drilled the mekugi peg hole before hardening.

Studio_20190501_062353.jpg

• Like 2

Finished making the Habaki.  I left the shoulder with a hammer finish and quenched the copper in oil to give a nice leather colored tarnish 

20190527_102014.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good man, keep at it. 

@Doug: That has a beautiful curve.  Did you forge the curve in?  OR - is the curve a result of quenching with clay?

Beautiful work.

Thanks Ken.  The blade was dead straight until I water quenched in my clawfoot soaking tub.   I ended up with 0.75" of sori.   I just forged out a Tsuba from a piece of wagon wheel. 

20190612_201845.jpg

• Like 3

Doug, this is a beautiful piece of work. I am following and hoping you’ll update as it finishes. I am tempted to try a peace of Aldo’s W2 I have which is long enough but I might better go with 1075. It would also be a first katana for me as well.

Gary LT