Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Going to try an Ax need some advice

So I have a small amount of coal left I have to get my stock pile back up.  But I have enough to forge for a couple of days at least.  I do have a bit of scrap steel left over I am definitely wanting to try an ax.  I am not going to do a big one just like a small hatchet just for the experience.  What I am wanting to know is will it be easier to fold over a piece of the steel to make the hoop and forge weld it onto a straight piece of steel?  I'm planning on doing this with some scrap steel as I said.  I have an idea of where I want to go with this I haven't drawn it out I probably should but I can do that later on when I'm ready to start forging it but I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this since I will be new into axes.  I just wanted to give this a try out as I said to get the experience.

Depends on too many factors that you haven't shared:

1. Size and type of stock available
  2. Your familiarity with forge welding or punching and drifting
  3. Configuration of axe desired (I find drawing down long lugs easier on weld and wrap than punch and drift)
  4. Tools you have in hand (do you have an axe drift or a slitter, how about a slot punch).  Do you have tongs correctly sized to hold the stock in its various configurations.

Strongly recommend you start with a tomahawk rather than an axe.  Many of the similar steps, but a little easier to manipulate.   There are good guides for same on You-Tube, and Alan Longmire has posted an excellent guide on this site if I recall properly 

I strongly suggest you get a little more experience before you attempt this.  Here's another way:

If you use hardenable steel for the whole thing you can run a line of drilled holes to keep the slitting chisel relatively on track.

There's also this way:

or this, which is similar:

However you decide to try it, you are going to need a lot more coal and experience than you think.

Jebus all those make me look nervous to even try one LOL.  I mean Id like to because it's actually what I'd like to make most of all.  But now I'm kind of doubting on my abilities after seeing all of those.

Yeah, axe making is all about controlled directional forging and use of the pein.  Pretty complex forging for such a simple tool.

5 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Yeah, axe making is all about controlled directional forging and use of the pein.  Pretty complex forging for such a simple tool.

Welp guess I'll quit on the ax thought while I'm still ahead LOL

If you want to get to axes sooner rather than later and steel, coal, and skill level are not where you want them, then practicing with clay instead of steel can help a little towards knowing where and how to hit to control the shape.  Not a perfect teacher, but it does help.... just a thought.