Sign in to follow this  
Shane Savage

Leather stacked handle question.

Hi guys

Any of you lovely gentleman know how to create this leather stacked handle

It looks like it might be smaller leather pieces that's darkened more?

anyone got any idea how I could redo this, I have resin and leather 

Much appreciated 

download.jpg

The original Ka-bar handle is made from washers of sole bend leather, which as the name implies is thick heavy leather tanned for use as shoe soles.  No resin was used, they were varnished instead.  They used some sort of press to really squish the leather tight before peening the tang.  

If I were gonna try one, I'd use the thickest leather I could find and maybe use wood hardener or Nelsonite (billiards cuestick stabilizer).  In the US you can buy the leather precut into washers with a rectangular slot for the tang, but I would make my own anyway.  Shape it after assembly.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the fast response Alan helpful information as always,

I've this leather i bought it's pretty thick not sol leather thick

my plan at this stage is to resin cast the handle like micarta then shape off the tang so it doesn't mess with the guard. 

Unfortunately for the gaps, i don't think i have the capability to put them in cleanly 

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6532.JPGIMG_6531.JPGIMG_6530.JPG

The gaps are really nothing more than smaller sized leather washers....using modern materials you could even make the smaller washers out of black delrin or abs plastic in between the leather stacks

• Thanks 1

Try a chainsaw file.  They're good at half-round grooves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have one of those.  I'll post closer pics of the handle if you 'd like, but the guy are right.  Simply stacked leather washers squished in place before the pommel pin was pressed through the tang.  The black lines are just 1/2-round grooves cut in and the leather painted black.

Back in 1989 I let the handle of mine sit in a jar of new motor oil overnight.  It is still pretty dark and "moist?" (whatever the opposite of dry cracked leather is) to this day. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your responses everyone, I've decided to just do a full leather stack at the same size, i'm worried i will mess up the transitions 

You can always file in the transitions later Shane

• Like 1