Sign in to follow this  
Conner Michaux

More Micarta questions

I have come across a new way if making Micarta, and I think this is the way that will work for me,        I found this idea on instagram, and it seems to work really well, Ill link his instagram account so you can he does, Because I can't explain anything very well. https://www.instagram.com/truenorthmicarta/?hl=en.         Basically he uses a PFDE Plastic mold, and he clamps the material really tight in it, and then pours the epoxy onto the material, once is had the time to soak in, he puts it into the vacuum chamber for a few minutes, and them he flashes off the bubbles on the top with a torch. 

Ive tried a few ways of making micarta, But I keep getting massive voids in it, So im thinking this is the way to go. but there is one thing.... The vacuum chamber, Im not sure what to look for when looking for one, I don't need it to be huge, And it doesn't need to be crazy powerful, because i'll only be using it for a few minutes at a time, Ive found one that looks good for what im going to be doing, it has good reviews and a decent price   What do you think?  https://www.amazon.com/ABLAZE-Gallon-Stainless-Degassing-Chamber/dp/B071KZXVRR/ref=lp_19175442011_1_1?srs=19175442011&ie=UTF8&qid=1557435108&sr=8-1 .      

That sounds very complicated....

I have two cut-offs from kitchen counter tops (melamine) about 4"x6"

Cover both with wax paper (each time)

Put down a thin layer of resin followed by material, resin, material, repeat.

Put the other piece of "wood" on top and press together with 4 G-clamps until they won't compress anymore

Burlap needs more resin than you might imagine.

Lot's of resin will peel out the sides, but as long as the material is properly impregnated with resin that's fine.

I've made more slabs of micarta than I can count using this method with very few failures, resin setting too slowly or too quickly is the most common problem. 

Edited by Gerhard Gerber
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jack

Polyester resin, the stuff they use to make fiber glass.

I scored some orthopedic resin, but it uses the same hardener, I believe it's just clearer & better quality.