Cason Hicks

Cobbled Santoku Cleaver

This is my next project (instead of the fat belly skinner I posted about).

Steel is 1/4” 1084 and handle material will be brown canvas micarta

Not sure if I want to do a liner or not, maybe black G10?

Thinking about doing stainless socket head cap screws for the pins

Finish will likely be post-quench oil patina

Thinking of doing santoku style fullers running perpendicular to the edge, and maybe the classic cleaver hole near the spine and tip. 

Thoughts?

45463C75-0DCD-4EF2-9194-7BB5372F8460.jpeg

34F0B42E-3E9E-4669-BD3D-C3ADB647234B.png

3F0488A8-945F-4157-AE84-55BED0D98F79.jpeg

Great question @Joël Mercier and it will be for BBQ... so cutting ribs and chopping brisket. I would also like it to double as a heavy basecamp utility chopper, so battoning and making kindling 

Here are a few update pics. I got my bevels ground in, pin holes drilled and chamfered. I did run into an issue where my grinding got into the handle area a bit, and I'm hoping its not too deep where epoxy won't suffice to fill it in. Right up by the top pin hole. I tried some draw filing to work it out, but if I file too much then I'll run into an issue where I'll end up locking my handle scales out of where I want them to be, and they'd end too close to the top pin hole. 

The edge has been left at approx 1.3 mm thick, and the bevels are around a 7-8 degree on each side. 

I've thought about doing a "rock" type finish with random angle grinder grooves in the blade, and also in the handle. 

DYGbfYo - Imgur.jpg

Gi5s4jB - Imgur.jpg

ibhbOpl - Imgur.jpg

Rough shaped the handle last night, and added faux rock/caveman texture to the blade (not sure what the exact name of that is)

68BEBC6D-ADE4-4283-9EC4-489CA14BBF4B.jpeg

CC74A886-B1D1-4589-80EA-84153F2D8EC4.jpeg

62441522-0B07-436F-BC14-8581BCC47D42.jpeg

35C6AEDC-00CC-4B0A-8435-B45BE4D0FE63.jpeg

Hmmm. Video doesn’t seem to be working for me.

I really like that handle shape, you really pull it off! It sure looks like a good grip and comfortable to use!

Thanks @Stephen Asay I think its quite comfortable indeed. Since it is made from 1/4" stock, it is very heavy, lending itself to being a good chopper. I've got a friend who's just getting into leatherwork, and he's making the sheath for it. This is my 3rd knife, and it will be his 2nd sheath. So we are both at the beginnings of our learning curves. 

You sure wouldn't want to see my third knife, come to think of it I remember slicing some fingers pretty good trying to drill pin holes after sharpening the blade :unsure:. It seems like you have a better grasp already. I know that handle will work well because I was playing with clay trying to design a better handle, and that is roughly the shape that comes out when you squeeze a ball of clay.