Worth Baker

First Arrowheads (with arrows)

Not exactly blades, but they have edges and points so I thought they might still be of interest. I needed to make a new set of arrows for myself (I am making 24 but these are the first 8) that I didn't mind shooting and that I knew would hold up. I had made arrows before, but never forged my own points and never forged a socket before so this has been valuable practice.

The heads are hardened and burned in. The shafts are barrel tapered port orford cedar spined for a 50lb bow, stained and sealed. The nocks were reinforced with ebony wedges. Turkey feather fletching with artificial sinew spiral wrap. Overall I am pretty happy with the first batch, though I definitely learned that I need to make the sockets a bit wider than it seems I should while forging. 

60046777_604101360077496_5099095176513585152_n.jpg

60139553_604101306744168_4107211666783993856_n.jpg

59948600_604101320077500_8978543791287828480_n.jpg

59822076_604101340077498_7912015953271980032_n.jpg

• Like 8

Sweeeeeet!  I've made just a couple over the years and always wanted to make a uniform set.  There is something innately appealing about shooting with all of your equipment made with your own two hands.  Love the fletching as well.  I am curious as to where you buy your cedar and feathers.  Thanks for sharing.

4 minutes ago, MikeDT said:

Sweeeeeet!  I've made just a couple over the years and always wanted to make a uniform set.  There is something innately appealing about shooting with all of your equipment made with your own two hands.  Love the fletching as well.  I am curious as to where you buy your cedar and feathers.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I picked up the feathers and shafts from 3 rivers archery, it was my first time using them, but I am pleased so far. All the shafts came very straight and certainly seem to have pretty uniform bend strength to me. Only had issue with one of them so far that kept snapping at the bottom of the socket, twice while fitting the head and once after firing. It was the only arrow that has given me any trouble at all so I am pretty sure I just had some bad luck with a brittle shaft. Feathers where nice, came pre-split and are all left or right wing depending on what you choose.

Realized none of the images really showed the nock reinforcement which was a fun first for me as well

IMG_5430[903].JPG

• Like 1

very nice work!  thanks for sharing

Very cool. How close in weight are they to each other? 

Wow man. You ain't foolin' around. Those are very cool.

Nice work! The nock reinforcement can be a real pain but these turned out quite well. I'd be curious also on the weight of the points and finished arrows.