Sign in to follow this  
Edward paul

Bayonet

Looking for help identifying this bayonet.  Can someone help? No identifying letters or numbers anywhere on the item, but does have a number of ornate markings. Have no idea of the era or country of origin. Help 

F0BE1E2B-68D7-44CD-B447-03C6017FEE52.jpeg

97C6B69D-CB40-4D56-A8DB-3528EA1E9F9D.jpeg

7655F76A-A09F-43C0-8560-53DB1AB6539D.jpeg

A9D0AA71-15A4-4718-909A-754B1D81D11E.jpeg

DC95B9C8-298D-4848-9A76-3B60EF691B41.jpeg

D139AE3F-1DB1-487A-8E20-864F72709B3E.jpeg

33CF0307-8252-4CB7-BB3F-F884444FF291.jpeg

D46EEBA9-C5F5-40BE-AC1A-AA259B770AB8.jpeg

I am far from an expert, and since we are makers here (mostly) rather than collectors, knowledge may be a little thin.  The mounting system is strange, and the marks on the blade makes me think India (?).

Where are you, where did you find it, do you have any more info?

g

Are there any marking on the spine, flowers or stars, perhaps?  On a FB forum dealing with swords and the like, the thought is that it's 18th century, perhaps a broken, re-mount of a sword, and European.  If it's the tip of a sword, that would be why there are no makers marks.  A broken sword re-mounted on a bayonet handle?  Maybe.

g

Its unlikely to be indian. the indians used various versions of the British lee enfield from the late 1800's to almost present day. and that isnt an enfield bayonet. it doesnt look like a european type bayonet mounting at all, not from the major powers anyway. i cant rule out there is some eastern european rifle i have never seen that has that huge parralel lug on it.

interesting find.

Thanks so far, folks.   I am in central California. Have had this in the back of my closet for years, I remember my dad finding it in my grandmother’s possessions when she passed back in the mid-70s .   I am assuming she got it from one her of her brothers,  they all  came to California from South Dakota at the turn of the century (1900)  when they were all very small children.   The family is originally from Croatia, but can’t imagine  their parents bringing it from there. Any chance he could be WW1, or maybe even Civil War? 

Thanks again

Ed

Certainly not the U.S. Civil War, although it looks to be of the period if not earlier.  The gilded engravings are interesting (and rather crude), but I too have never seen a bayonet with that full-length dovetail lug mount and no hole for the barrel.  Might there have been one on the same side as the lug and it just broke off?  

Like Geoff said, we are mostly makers rather than collectors, but I hope somebody comes along who can help.  

Alan,  there is a hole at the end of the handle that runs the entire length of the handle. Is the handle also referred to as the lug? I am very naïve to the correct terminology.  Anyway, here are a couple photos of the hole I am referring to.

81249D4F-00A6-4F57-8B95-570B5C58B6DF.jpeg

80FEED31-FCE0-46F9-BE17-E5C0D9AF16FD.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Wild guess......Turkish late 1800s/WW1? It looks somewhat similar to the Turk modified german ersatz bayonets.

Edited by SteveShimanek

36 minutes ago, Edward paul said:

Alan,  there is a hole at the end of the handle that runs the entire length of the handle. Is the handle also referred to as the lug?

The lug is on the rifle and goes in the hole you are showing.  Alan is referring to a ring, typically integral to the guard, the fits around the muzzle of the gun.  There doesn't appear to be one on your piece.  (My apologies to Alan if he meant something else.)

That is indeed what I meant, that handle just looked like it was meant to go into a sort of dovetailed receiver lug on the muzzle, at least until I saw the hole.  Now I am even more confused...:huh:

The engraving and gold damascene work does look Turkish.  Odd piece, for sure.  

Yes, I would agree that it's definitely an odd piece.  It looks like it would have to mount on a lug on the side of the gun barrel.

Doug