Posted (edited)

I want to make a leather strop to finish off the edge on my knives, I know how to build one, but my question is about the leather, cow leather is really thick and soft so it’s easier to round off the edge of your knife,  I saw something on the internet about using Kangaroo leather for a strop, because it’s a very thin and tuff leather, so it’s harder to round the edge.   And then I’ve got a few questions on the compound, there’s the hard ingot of it, there’s the diamond micron stuff, and some Japanese compound that I’ve found.   And I’m not sure if it’s for strops or not, but it’s called lapping film?     And with the micron paste stuff, what are the numbers next to it? Like 3.0 micron or .03 micron What ever it is. I’m thinking the numbers are probably grit size, anyhow thanks in advance. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

I've only used leather glued with Barge Shoe Glue to a piece if wood the size I need, I use only toyo green bar for my compound...

Its available it most Japanese tool supplierss on the web, occasionally a German product called semi-chrome I believe...

It also shines metals up very nicely once you understand how to wood with it. as bladesmiths we can make it however we want to...

rps20130613_213254.jpg

FB_IMG_1511812836415.jpg

Yeah, don't overthink it.  I use a strip of plain old cowhide glued to the edge of a board and White Diamond buffing compound.  It'll put a mirror polish on a blade if you want.  Or just put a scary sharp edge on it.  

Not "rolling" the edge has more to do with technique than the material.  Look at videos where people demonstrate how to strop a straight razor to pick up the technique.

Pure stropping doesn't remove metal at all, it just realligns the very edge of the blade.  I don't use any sort of compound on my straight razor strop.

Adding polishing compound of some sort turns the strop into a micro-fine polisher.  There isn't anything wrong with that, but it is a different goal.