John N

contemporary table knives

Some months ago I was contacted by a local restaurant (which is held in very high regard nationally) with a view to potentially supplying them with table knives.  Its not something I would normally give consideration to, but the place is full of potential customers, and it seems it will be a great opportunity if the project goes ahead (and Im sad to admit, a bit of an ego boost as well). They are very into 'local' produce, suppliers etc.

I found it amazingly difficult to work on small knives, as they basically just look 'wrong' to me. I also could not find any work to be (cough) 'inspired' by, so had to go from scratch with the design. The restaurant did not want classic 'steak knives' , and did not want them too 'pointy' :blink:

Even if the project does not progress it was interesting being pushed outside my comfort zone !

Be interested in your thoughts on them, and would love to see any table knives members on here have made. These are the finished prototypes, they are all a bit different, a mm or so here and there makes a big difference to how the knife feels ! again I would be interested to hear if any of them look better (or less worse?) to your eye than the others ! - the F&F would be improved on the run of blades if it goes ahead, these were 'lashed up' !

wsD4qlM.jpg

MBCEGdE.jpg

6fAz4lK.jpg

• Like 2

Great opportunity!  I like the one in your hand, but the handles look a bit long to me.  I like the sort of mini-santoku look, though.  Might want to look at alternative handle materials if they're gonna run them through the commercial washer, too.

Good luck!

I like these. I think they fit what the restaurant is looking for. They aren't your typical steak knives, people will notice and it adds to the overall unique experience.

I'll have to disagree with Alan in regards to the handle length. I like how it looks and I think this is what provides a unique "wow" factor to them (it's not something you normally see). They aren't trying for comfort in this situation. 

I agree with Alan on the dishwasher... That was one of my first thoughts, the high heat and water will destroy natural materials. Also, you should get ready to make a lot more, I'm guessing these are the type of things that tend to "walk" out of restaurants.

Maybe there will be a Royal Warrant in this for you someday :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys, keep the thoughts coming.

Alan - I took the 1st prototype to the restaurant months ago (very rough knife not pictured!), and it was actually quite interesting to see a different thought process. They were asking each other 'how do you hold a knife' when you are eating, and trying it in all different hand holds etc, basically stuff I would never have considered! The handle always seemed to be 'out of the back' of the hand so hopefully the extra length does not effect the ergonomics. The handles are 135mm long. I tried shorter handles, and the knife just looked 'dumpy' !

On the knife care concerns I hear you loud and clear! - the saving grace is its a small restaurant (30 odd covers), and they are moving towards hand thrown plates etc, so there is some care for the tableware.  I would probably be supplying blade only, as they have a woodworker who has made lots of the fittings for the place who they want to get involved with the handles, and there was some talk of the staff being involved in making the handles, with the joiner in his studio, as a 'team building' project. (this would suit me, as I have a low tolerance for repetition)  I kept the design simple with this in mind, the knife tang is 5/16", and basically resin bonded into a drilled hole!  - It it the kind of place where there is a story to everything, the knives would become part of the story I think!

Sounds interesting!  Best of luck to you.  And a Royal Warrant would be lovely, but difficult to hot-stamp under your mark...;)

This is very very cool! Table santokus, I'll have to visit this restaurant next time I'm over and try one of these for myself if it all goes ahead! Love the knives, obviously, not sure how someone without knife making experience would do making handles for them though.... I know you don't enjoy the handle making as much as the forging so does sound like the ideal situation though :blink: 

6 minutes ago, James Higson said:

This is very very cool! Table santokus, I'll have to visit this restaurant next time I'm over and try one of these for myself if it all goes ahead! Love the knives, obviously, not sure how someone without knife making experience would do making handles for them though.... I know you don't enjoy the handle making as much as the forging so does sound like the ideal situation though :blink: 

Thanks James, I cant afford to eat there though ...............

What I am seeing is the blade edge is fairly straight with minimal belly which is the typical part of the blade that is used to cut the food with and I wonder if you would have to have your hand too close to the plate for general using comfort

I really like the look of these, I think the too long handles do it for me. B)