You don't have to be older than dirt, but at least have some years on 'ya to remember when folding knives were just called "Pocket Knives." In the new age of retronyms the term is "slip-joint." I have fond memories of those knives, especially the ones I couldn't afford when my only income was from shoveling snow, mowing lawns, and my paper route. Thirty some years ago, I found some prime Sambar stag scales , just before the stag ban, and some red jigged bone scales like the old Case "Muskrat" that my father gave me when I was about 9. I lost that fishing when I fell in the swollen spring stream and my waders filled and started to drag me under. That knife saved my life, I hung on to my rod and reel, but lost the knife. My father never found out though, he passed away that summer. My passion for those old Pocket Knives never dragged under, just put off till now. I dug out those Sambar and bone scales, and patterns of slip-joint folders I made about thirty years ago, and the passion roared into flames! Here are a small 2-blade and large Muskrat in Sambar stag. I have enough stag to make only five more small and 1 or 2 more large single blade folders. I wish I could give one to my father, but I'll just have keep at least one for myself. Shall it be stag or red jigged bone, maybe one of each. See and hear that large Muskrat  walk and talk on my Twitter page @Bladesmith111

2bladeMusk.jpg

LgMuskrat.jpg

• Like 2

Way to go Sean. I also remember those days when every kid had one of these in his pocket and nobody thought it was odd or dangerous. We also called them "pen knives", which is the old term used during colonial days (and before) when everyone kept a small knife to cut the quill tip for their pens. Believe it or not, the desks in my public grade school had ink wells in the tops.

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the comment. I remember those days. I went to Catholic grade school 50's, we had pocket knives, played  'strech' on the lawn. I got in trouble once over my pocket knife, well not the knife exactly. I didn't want to wait in line at the pencil sharpener, so I pulled out my pocket  knife and whittled a point on my pencil, letting the shavings fall under my desk. Sister Helen Brimstone was furious, made me sweep it all up and stand in the cloak room for the rest of the afternoon. It was winter, and there was no heat in there, so I borrowed some coats. Back then, the nuns confiscated a lot of yo-yo's, but not knives.

Nice :)

I too have carried a pocket knife every day sice I was 12.  I remember once in 8th grade science class my teacher was struggling to open something and she asked if anyone had a knife.  Most of the boys in the class simultaneously held one up.

I've recently become enamored with these, and hope to make a few more.

The one with stag scales turned out really nice.  Growing up in the 70s, about half of the boys still carried knives. Now, when I ask students, only 1 or two still carry them (outside of school of course :rolleyes:).  I still have a small pen knife my grandmother gave me - a cherished treasure.

I say make several small ones - that way more friends and family can share in the memories.

Thanks, Mike

This winter I taught a week long bladesmithing course at a private high school, Colo. Rocky Mtn. School, where they have a complete forging shop. 10 students, 9 of them never-evers, completed 5 layer damascus knives. The knives were as different as the personalities. It was a little scary in the current atmosphere around knives and schools in general, but well received. At the end we did a presentation and one student commented "If they only have to confiscate two or three knives, we'll probably do it again.