Eric Morgan

I Was Gifted A Forge Today

So I’d been talking to a coworker of mine a while back about my knifemaking and blacksmithing attempts when he told me that he thought there was a forge in the basement of an old house on his farm. I asked him if he’d be interested in selling it, and he said he’d give it to me if I’d be willing to wait til he could get to it. Of course I said yes...

Anyway, he texted me this afternoon and said he was on his way to my house with the forge if I could meet him. 

The firepot is rusted pretty badly as you can see in the pics, but the blower turns freely and everything else seems quite sturdy.

A3D4FAA9-5344-4280-8DC8-C12DD1AC1DF0.jpeg

13599589-C130-4649-8FBC-9BB8F38F5C73.jpeg

D6075ED6-5836-4721-A897-173F81DDF007.jpeg

I should add that only the bowl part of the firepot is rusted out... the flat plate it’s attached to is still solid

• Like 2

Those are nice little forges as long as you're not trying any complicated welding.  Just because they're so shallow.  Add enough light oil (automatic transmission fluid or 0w20 motor oil) to cover the bottom of the lowest gear in the blower crankcase and you're good to go!  Well, after cleaning up the firepot and maybe swapping the perforated air inlet with a slotted one, of course.  

That would work, but if you have access to a cutting torch a piece of 1/4" plate with 1/2" wide slots spaced 1/2" apart works great.  I used one in my old rivet forge for years. You don't even need to clean it up after cutting, the slag resists erosion from the heat.

Score! Clean that puppy up and git 'er done!