Garry Keown

Various knives

Wow, Gary, you're a knife makin' machine.  Really like those knives.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Wow, Gary, you're a knife makin' machine.  Really like those knives.

The blades for the 6 safari knives had been ground and ready for some time waiting for the giraffe bone to arrive.  

18 sheaths cut out, belt loops sewn on, welts glued in then got them all dyed. They could then be glued together, edges sanded marked for stitching and the holes all drilled so they will all be ready for final stitching tomorrow to finish out the week. Hot waxing and blade sharpening next week so they are ready for shiping.

Leatherwork done bar the hot waxing. The few spare ones are for knives still on the bench. 

NG3B1All.jpg

• Like 2

These are ready to ship
#1 is a Hunter skinner with raindrop damascus, buff bolsters and macrocarpa handles.
#2 is another giraffe bone handled Safari Knife
#3 is a buffalo handled Hunter skinner
#4 is an Acacia handled skinner and
#5 is a Skinner for me with curve backed copper bolsters and giraffe bone handles. Have given thae previous ones away but might just keep a hold of this one.
FWpK4Yfl.jpg
gki2P6fl.jpg
uY1Oipwl.jpg
YiQVWdel.jpg
RjYfg1zl.jpg
  • Like 1

These two ready to ship off after sharpening tomorrow. A Fireball stainless damascus Wapiti knife with curve back buffalo horn bolsters and giraffe bone handles (Titanium pins) in lightly tooled sheath. The second one is a J T Ranger with copper bolster and buffalo horn handles (copper pins) on the 1095 blade in cross draw sheath.
IMG_20191020_155656.jpg
IMG_20191020_155745.jpg
IMG_20191020_155820.jpg
  • Like 1

So have this lot of sheaths all done so juts the edge to do now and they can be shipped off.
kUkWd20l.jpg
Among them are this group of 5 skinners.
qiUNZdxl.jpg
A giraffe bone handled 5 1/2 in 12C27 chef
opuvRJ0l.jpg
A mini skinner in 12C27 with black paper micarta bolster, blaze G10 spacer and liner with OD canvas micarta handle and lanyard tube.
qHBabqnl.jpg
IjFy6pLl.jpg
A 1095 J T Ranger with buff horn and exhibition walnut
a1Jx12sl.jpg
Two damascus light hunters. Top one has exhibition swamp kauri over buff horn while the lower one has eucalyptus root over buff horn.
w07dUo7l.jpg
This pair of 1095 PH EDC,s has spalted eucalyptus over buff horn
mZ2uzlol.jpg
And last is this pair of 1095 PH EDC's has ebony over brass
qrj9awTl.jpg
  • Like 1

The exotic wood in these knife handles  is absolutely beautiful.  

8 hours ago, John Myshkoff said:

The exotic wood in these knife handles  is absolutely beautiful.  

Thanks John. 

Hi Garry

Excellent work, you are a knife-making machine! B)

I couldn't find the relevant thread so I'm just putting it here.....

I boiled some Oryx horn in old Canola quench oil, the very bottom part split down the middle as well as a nice handle sized section from higher up.

The oil was about 300C, clamped one of the bottom pieces between two pieces of wood and it flattened perfectly with some cracking on the outside edge.

The second piece I put between my quench plates and they literally crumbled like cookies....kinda obvious what happened there.

The upper piece I put in a vice and squeezed oval, two tint cracks at the bottom end, just trimmed those off and I'm left with a lovely shaped handle.

Haven't tried it yet, but the good word from the South African grapevine is the same can be achieved using heat gun, if that works no worries about the oil messing with the glue.

My pieces don't feel particularly oily.....

15 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Hi Garry

Excellent work, you are a knife-making machine! B)

I couldn't find the relevant thread so I'm just putting it here.....

I boiled some Oryx horn in old Canola quench oil, the very bottom part split down the middle as well as a nice handle sized section from higher up.

The oil was about 300C, clamped one of the bottom pieces between two pieces of wood and it flattened perfectly with some cracking on the outside edge.

The second piece I put between my quench plates and they literally crumbled like cookies....kinda obvious what happened there.

The upper piece I put in a vice and squeezed oval, two tint cracks at the bottom end, just trimmed those off and I'm left with a lovely shaped handle.

Haven't tried it yet, but the good word from the South African grapevine is the same can be achieved using heat gun, if that works no worries about the oil messing with the glue.

My pieces don't feel particularly oily.....

I did do one set in the oven but thinking about  the dry heat was why I changed to the wet heat of the water and found the flexability was better than the dry heat

Finished this lot bar an edge on them which will be tomorrows task and they can all head off to new homes EXCEPT for one for me and one I did just to see how it would look.
A PH EDC in 1095 HC with eucalyptus and ebony
MJvlG3Ml.jpg
A kitchen petty in 12C27 SS with beech burl
YkXJsucl.jpg
Skinner in 1075 HC with cherrywood
pK4RFJ5l.jpg
A Bushcraft Hunter  in O1  with giraffe bone and leopardwood
mTq4SCrl.jpg
a Bird and Trout in 12C27 SS with brass under the 1/8 in blue G10 liner amd black limmen micarta handles
r47Jhtcl.jpg
A 5 1/2 in chef in 12c27 SS with fancy oak (for my cousin from the tree in her yard cut down some timme back) 
sGsQc2bl.jpg
And one for my with a new meat slicer having a slightly reshaped blade and deeper hand;e section in 12C27 SS with brass and Gidgee
sFH9DPIl.jpg
Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2