More Buffalo skinners on 1095 with buffalo horn under the exhibition walnut. One has brass pins and the other has carbon fiber.

IMG_20200105_130834.jpg

And got all the sheaths done and waxed for everything that is ready to ship next week.

IMG_20200105_130616.jpg

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seeing as I have a few knives to show on a semi regular basis I though I would just paste them in the one thread. This is the first pair. Big Game Hunters in4 3/4 in x .156   blades of 1095.

I had a tag end of 1075 so decided to make a pattern for a camp knife/butcher knife. I had made myself one a long time back with a 8 1/2 inch blade for dicing meat etc when breaking down an animal but

The 12 1/2 in Cimeter is finished with its quilted macrocarpa handle over the slant back buffalo horn bolster on the 1075 blade and so is another 7 1/2 inch slicer with the Swamp Kauri handle over the

Posted Images

A red deer antler handle on this 1084 stick tang with peened  brass guard and butt plates IMG_20200105_131031.jpgIMG_20200105_131045.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • 2 weeks later...
Got everything bar done bar an edge on these but that happens just before they are sold and or shipped off.
This one is random SS damascus  Hunter Skinner with desert ironwood over curve backed buffalo horn
eowfh1zl.jpg

A 7 1/2 in 12C27 SS chef with curly maple
XObIM7Fl.jpg

A 1084 Light Hunter with gidgeewood
Q0RV1BBl.jpg

A 1084 Hunter Skinner with Leopardwood over buffalo Horn
yrKD7vHl.jpg

A 1084 Hunter Skinner with Black Palm over brass
OxUxTt6l.jpg

A 1084 boner with walnut over buff horn
u0csSmjl.jpg

A 1095 PH EDC withDesert Ironwood over curve backed brass
KLW9T7El.jpg
  • Like 1

Hey @Garry Keown you have been bashing out some decent quality and quantity since I was last on here. It has been some 18months since I logged on here. Good to catch up with what has been going on. 

Keep up the good work brother. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Damn, that PH with the brass bolster is speaking to me.  I love the profile of that knife line.

15 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

i know what you mean, Alex.  His PH EDC is just about my favorite of his designs.  Been really fighting the urge to just flat out copy it! ;)

Thanks Guys. I have a pair of those (the copper and ebony ones shown previously) PH EDC's away with Professional Hunters in Africa for a hard work test to see if I have all the needs met with the design. 

6 hours ago, Chris C-S said:

Hey @Garry Keown you have been bashing out some decent quality and quantity since I was last on here. It has been some 18months since I logged on here. Good to catch up with what has been going on. 

Keep up the good work brother. 

Good to see you back Chris. I do appreciate the positive comments from my peers in this obsession we have.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
A few more ready to go to the gun shop to replace sold items
A Boning knife with Matai over linen micarta bolster on the 1075 blade
IhXKe8Al.jpg
Another Boning knife with Kwila handles
WYqgzVql.jpg
A mini skinner with matai over buff bolsteron 1084 blade
L3Kp6Vkl.jpg
A PH EDC with swamp kauri over OD canvas micarta bolsters on the 1095 blade
9x7bvsWl.jpg
Wapiti knife with walnut on the 1095 blade
kz6jFn6l.jpg
and a bowie to use the end of a bar of 1075 with pear wood over the paper micarta bolsters
C6qRx8ql.jpg

While I was doing the sheaths for them I made these for some blades I have on the bench at the moment
Slip covers for three 7 1/2 inch chef knives

3yOJhy7l.jpg

two PH EDC's and a slip cover for a GP kitchen knife

VIEkoV8l.jpg

• Like 1

I got some handles shaped up today and was very pleased with the little 3 3/4 in kitchen petty knife in 12C27 SS with the blue liners under the impala jigged horn.

IMG_20200212_164522.jpg

IMG_20200212_164628.jpg

There was a 4 3/4 in 1095 PH EDC with buff horn and exhibition walnut and another one with curly macrocarpa.

IMG_20200212_164246.jpg

IMG_20200212_164313.jpg

A 3 3/4 12C27 paring knife with cocobola

IMG_20200212_164458.jpg

and a 5 inch general purpose kitchen knife in 12C27 with eucalyptus.

IMG_20200212_164436.jpg

I finished the day by doing the finish grind on some more blades and starting on the handsanding

IMG_20200212_163534.jpg

• Thanks 1

I forgot to take decent pics of these before they headed off this morning. The 7 1/2 in chef knives of 12C27 SS with oak handles and the box set (004) is a sample for my agent to show round various interested parties so will see what comes of them. The pic was taken before I had the inletted discs etched with the symbolic malon labe motif but it is the same one as on the box lid. Have also sent him portions of the colour options for the cloth lining.

IMG_20200217_121242.jpgBox oo4 to Tony as sample.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

A Thumbrest Skinner with Swamp Kauri over CB Buff, Hunter Skinner with Matai over FB Ebony and a Mini Skinner with Macrocarpa over FB Micarta.

IMG_20200318_154133.jpg

A J T Ranger with Ambonya burl over CB Buff and a Light Hunter with Sapele over CB SS

IMG_20200318_154653.jpg

A pair of J T Rangers Top one has Madrone Burl over FB Micarta and the lower one has Maple Burl over CB Micarta

IMG_20200318_154842.jpg

A pair of boning knives. Top one has black micarta over brass with blue liners and the lower one has oak over brass

IMG_20200318_155400.jpg

A pair of Hunter Skinners. Top is Swamp Kauri over FB micarta and the lower has Oak over micarta.

IMG_20200318_155538.jpg

A Pig Sticker with Black micarta over brass with blue liners and the lower is a J T Ranger that I got the bevel too high so gave it a FF grind and put Matai over CB micarta. 

IMG_20200318_155902.jpg

A Skinner with Ebony over copper and a Light Hunter with matai over FB micarta

IMG_20200318_160124.jpg

A pair of Mini Skinners . Impala jigged buff over blue liners and eucalyptus over micarta

IMG_20200318_160539.jpg

A new design which is an amalgamation of 3 others (big game knife, hunter butcher and the wapiti knife) and called the Wapiti hunter Butcher with blaze liners and spacer with black and OD micarta and a P H EDC with natural and black micarta

IMG_20200318_161202.jpg

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

I bet it feels good to finish up a batch that size.  Outstanding as always!

Yes it does. It is one thing to have some repitition as far as efficiency goes but a dozen is a better number although these are all different so there isn't a sameness to many of the operations.

• 3 weeks later...

Something different with a first try at forging from an off cut of 1095 where this 

IMG_20200331_154849.jpg

IMG_20200402_101608.jpg

Became this.

The SS is a bear to get right but looks good with the red G10 spacers. Now have this to a stage I am going to call it done. Not perfect but for a first forging I am quite pleased with it. The stabilised willow has some very nice markings and colours. As well as my 3 dot mark in the reminder of the forging I have stamped a number 1 on the blade as a memento of its place in my development

Forged no 1.png

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2

Another one I got finished today was this Wapiti Hunter Butcher. 5 inch blade of 1095 with micarta CB bolster and dressed with some nicely marked oak scales for a flared butt handle. 

WHB 1.png

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 3

This flowing lines of this knife are beautifully done.   

5 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

Another one I got finished today was this Wapiti Hunter Butcher. 5 inch blade of 1095 with micarta CB bolster and dressed with some nicely marked oak scales for a flared butt handle. 

WHB 1.png

Edited by John Myshkoff
  • Thanks 1

This is the 3 little ones I have done to show the comparrison between them. I had an order for a field scalpel that is 2 1/2 inch blade so decided to make a rabbit knife with 3 inch blade and while I was at it thought that a small game with the same blade as the light hunter but the handle treatment of the smaller onmes might be nice

The field scalpel has the 2 1/2 inch blade and gidgee wood handle.
The middle knife is the rabbit knife with 3 inch blade and walnut handle.
The larger of the three is the small game knife with 3 1/2 in blade and Desert Ironwood handles

IMG_20200412_113852.jpgIMG_20200412_113947.jpg

IMG_20200412_113918.jpg

And a comparrison between the small game and the light hunter. I have an idea that this particular knife may just go into my own kit. The handle should ideally go forward to withing a 1/4 in of the plunge but with this particular piece of ironwood was only able to get this length from it. Mabe I should have put a bolster to lengthen it out a bit but it is what it is and still feels comfortable in hand.
SG LH.png

• Like 1