Sign in to follow this  
Conner Michaux

Puukko just about done

Posted (edited)

Alright, my second knife is just about done! All that’s left is to epoxy the tang into the handle, but if you’ve been following along with my WIP post you know that this knife does not want to come out of the tang! So I’ve pretty much finished it without epoxy, I’ll pour some in the tang hole later.  

Overall length is 5-1/4 cutting edge is about 2 inches.  Damascus steel, not sure what the composition of it is, it’s not a very dark etch.    Handle material is Cherry burl. 

Burnished the handle so it has a bit of shine to it, and I wiped three coats of boiled linseed oil on it. 

The edge is shaving sharp and at the spine its 6/32 kinda thick.  

I wasn’t able to sharpen it all the way back to the handle because of the restrictions of my sharpening system.   My phone isn’t working right now, so I have no idea if the pictures showed up.

F47709C0-BC14-4CB5-97D4-929F452C87A4.jpeg

261ED714-1F24-4C49-AA0E-E0BD54376269.jpeg

F55A90A6-5FF0-4ABD-B2B2-27E234F4CEA1.jpeg

1CCA6BA0-6EAE-4108-AD90-0CD14A831373.jpegCritique welcome, and very much wanted. Thanks for looking! 

Edited by Conner Michaux

Posted (edited)

Here’s a tomato cut test, slices pretty well. 

CAD15D35-D48D-4D86-A151-91CF9B0A7DA6.jpeg

Please excuse the noise In the background, family is watching something on tv. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

Not sure if im gonna make a sheath for this one yet. I'll probably save my leather for the Yakut im forging today.

It looks great!

Looks like a whittling knife. I'm sure it'll do well as one. Good job Conner. 

Connor have Vice? Try clamping the blade in the jaws using leather or any padding and pry the handle off. Much like a hammer pulling out a nail, but very carefully.

either wa, if you still have wood grindings/dust you can pack that into the cavity above the epoxy. Epoxy will darker it though. I’ve had some success with lighter pigment in the epoxy to offset. Just some small advice.

Gary LT

Thanks guys! Yeah I’ve got tons of saw dust and rasp shavings On my shed floor so I’ll pack some in there with epoxy.  

This will be my whittling/carving knife

On 5/27/2019 at 10:57 PM, Conner Michaux said:

Thanks guys! Yeah I’ve got tons of saw dust and rasp shavings On my shed floor so I’ll pack some in there with epoxy.  

This will be my whittling/carving knife

Looking good! Not sure if you’ve already done the glue up, but if not, you could also carve softwood wedges to fill the gap rather than dust and epoxy. It’s something that was traditionally done on both puukko and Sakha knives. 

Oh i like that idea, Ill do that. Thanks!