Kreg Whitehead

Stabalizing wood 101

I have spent a small fortune on handle material. The last set of scales I got 4 handles for 50 bucks. 

But I have spent 25-40 per handle.

My boy is working at a cabinet shop.....and has got me about 15 sets of scales cut out of walnut and white oak.

The walnut isn't bad looking as is....but the white oak is beyond boring....to me at least.

It blows my mind how my handle/scale guy can get the color...and I assume the "stabilizing agent" all the way through the wood.

If there is an older/existing thread maybe someone can link it here for me.

What equipment would I need to buy? I have pinecones coming out my ears.....can I just cast them in alumalight.....or do they need to be "stabilized" also.

Some good info popped up in a thread I made when I built my vacuum chamber. 

By no means a definitive guide, and I'm certainly not an expert.  Look for the link about 2/3 of the way down the thread.  It'll bring you to a pretty good discussion about the how to's.  With a vacuum chamber, a toaster oven, and an ability to follow the directions, you can stabilize handle sized blocks pretty easily for very little investment.

• Like 1

If you have a way to recut your wood and want to save money order from a wood turners supply house.  You can get several handles from a 16" spindle blank.

Doug

• Like 1

I built a vacuum chamber from PVC pipe and drew Fiebings Leather dye into maple with it. I used a heavy rubber hose and pipe fittings to hook it up to my air compressor pump's intake ports. Drew 30 inches of vacuum in about 5 seconds. I also pulled acrylic Resolene into wood as well. In the end, I am a lazy man and decided it's more work than my time is worth. YMMV

• Like 1