Sign in to follow this  
Doug Webster

Is this wrought iron

Big ass chain do you think it's wrought iron?20190529_120750.jpg

20190529_120740.jpg

Chances are good it is.  Sometimes the dogbone in the middle of the link is cast iron, though.  Those look all wrought.

I would rely on Alan's judgment that those chain links are wrought iron but good luck in breaking them down and forging them out.

Doug

If you have a power hammer or a trusted striker it's easy as long as you work it white hot.

I see some correlations in the pitting, but not enough to be 100% positive I dont think. I've found stuff that looks like wrought and isn't. Look for cracks going length wise of the chain. You could grind an area of it clean and do a heavy etch to look for any wood grainy looking slag spots. You know, just to be sure its wrought before you go all in drawing it out ;)

Only one way I can think of to know for sure. Get it hot, and hit it hard. If it comes apart, it's probably wrought. :blink:

Seriously though. Cut a piece off one link and get it into the red/orange range and bend it over a sharp edge.

Thanks I'll see if the salvage yard will let me cut off a piece 

Owner of the place won't let anyone touch or purchase the chain.   He apparently is hoarding this along with several anvils.

• Sad 2