Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

Power hammer for sale in Charlottesville Virginia

Posted (edited)

Hey @Gerald Boggs I saw this and thought of ya. If you dont want it, maybe you'd know a guy? Pretty good deal even just for a chunk o metal that big.  

Forgot the link! 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/350-Niles-Bement-Pond-Co-Power-hammer-Utility-Air-Hammer-blacksmith-tool/254236773560?hash=item3b31b14cb8:g:5WYAAOSwA4Rc4Z6E

Edited by Zeb Camper

Cute little thing.  It is a steam hammer, though.  It would need a lot of work to convert to air, and it would need a bigger compressor and tank than most of us have access to.  Not to mention the anvil is missing and it's a two-man hammer...  It might be able to be converted to foot operation, I don't know.  

I went to see a 300lb Erie steam hammer converted to air back when I got into this lifestyle.  Guy wanted $10,000 for the whole setup, which consisted of the hammer (also a two-man), twenty feet of 4" pipe, and a 500-gallon pressure tank, no compressor.  The guy's father had used it for repointing plows back in the 1940s.  He'd fire up a 25-hp gasoline-powered compressor until he had about 150 PSI in the big tank, at which point he could run the hammer for about five minutes before it lost too much pressure to keep going. Of course, five minutes on a 300-lb hammer is enough to point several plows...he had an oil-fired forge in the ground beside the hammer that could hold ten plow blades.  He'd fire up the forge after he started the compressor, the tank would fill while the blades heated up, then his son would act as hammer driver while he manipulated the plow points with a five-foot-long set of tongs on a chain hoist.  Must have been quite an operation to watch!  Loud, hot, dangerous and dirty, just the way we like it. :lol:

• Like 1

Might be worth looking into though, hes got a "stump" of the right dimensions that needs a dovetail milled into it and a bottom die made. I think he means steel or iron, but could mean wood idk. 

I think Ric Furrer has a 1000 weight one running on air power, but it'd tak a lot of air!

But yeah, the air power I'm not into at all seems a waste to need a big ballzy compressor to run the hammer. But if you could persuade them to go down on price... 

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2019 at 10:03 PM, Zeb Camper said:

maybe you'd know a guy?

Don't know him, lots of smiths around C'ville these days.  Other then the occasional meeting with Old Dominion Blacksmith Association I don't get out and around that much.

Take that back, I know Ed, he and Dale Morse used to have a shop together (Clayhill Forge) and before that, they worked at Stokes of England in Keswick, VA

Edited by Gerald Boggs