Sign in to follow this  
Alan Longmire

short steam hammer video

Found this 1904 video and thought I'd share.  I believe this to be the 150-ton double-frame steam hammer Westinghouse used in the 1880-1930 period.  Watch the guys with the fullers, and the guys who sweep the scale off the anvil with flaming brooms...

• Like 3

Impressive.  When I see men like that wincing in pain from the radiant heat, I know I wouldn't be able to stand it.

I love the guy throwing hand-fulls of what i assume is flux to reduce scale buildup.

Make me wonder how many brooms they went through in a day or how long of a soak it took to get that much steel up to forging heat all the way through.

Doug

This is awesome. I couldn't imagine being around a mass of iron/steel that big and that hot with only what there wearing!

Insane!!

Jeremy, remember this was back in the day that if a worker passed out from the heat he would have been dragged outside and his pay would  have been docked for it.

Doug

Forging wrought iron?  Impressive the way the scale comes off !  I think it is sawdust they are throwing on it - I read that somewhere but forget why they did it.  Those guys were all stone deaf by the time they reached 60, if they were lucky enough to get that far.  And yes, the radiant heat from a bar that big must have intense.

Amazing how that much material moves that easily underneath that hammer. 

Like Doug said, the soak time on that must have been insane.

Thanks a lot for posting this, Alan. An interesting look into the past, for sure. 

Keep looking and I believe there is another Westinghouse video of a team of guys forge welding a ring together.