Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stephens

I started a Podcast

Hello All:

For me, the link between Literature and bladesmithing is not something I can sever. Many of you might not know that I was once an English professor teaching Literature to college students. It's been nearly 20 years since I left the University to become a capitalist heretic, but I miss teaching.

So, I've started a podcast about poetry and literature. I thought I'd share it with my brothers in this craft, because I know enough about the type of people who are drawn to this work to know that you're all warrior poets at heart.

The first two episodes are up. My goal is to produce one a week. You can subscribe on Itunes, the podcast app on your phone, Stitcher, Alexa, Spotify, most of the podcast services. Just search for "Belletrist."

Anyway, below is a link to the podcast. Hope you enjoy it. If you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd drop it a rating, subscribe, etc. Like this forum, I'm not doing this to make money. No advertising or anything. Just a labor of love.

Cheers!

Dave

http://www.BelletristPodcast.com

That was a great listen.

I am a complete novice to poetry, but I find myself liking it more and more lately.

Your voice is very pleasant, and I really aprecciate that you talk about the poem and the beauty it holds inside itself, instead of making it about the author, religion or politics. 

In the literature lessons that I´ve had I´ve always been dissapointed that they were so analytical, and so little about meaning and beauty.

I enjoyed the episodes so far, both of them. 

Do you have a list of what you plan on doing or take suggestions? 

I do have a long list, but I'd be happy to take suggestions, Joel. 

I do have to be cognizant of copyright, however, so old stuff is fine (anything older that 1919 is generally non-copyright).

I can do selections of copyrighted works under fair use doctrine, but would need permission to recite the whole work.

Episode 3 will be released in a couple of days. I'm reading a short story by John Steinbeck in this one.

Thanks!

Dave

I just saw this and listened to the first three episodes back to back. I do not, by choice, spend time listening to podcasts, or reading blogs, or watching vlogs. My time online is limited to this forum, the ABS forum, and browsing my FB feed for items that enrich my life (it's a short read really)

That being said, I could very easily become addicted to this. Well done Mr. Stephens, and thank you very much.

My only regret is that I do not have any of the apps to share with. (sigh)

Hi Dave

Finally got round to start listening. Didn’t know the void in me was there to fill. Thanks for doing this. Looking forward to many more to come. 

Dave, looking forward to listening to your podcasts. Suggestion, you should interview some of the old blade smiths we are loosing them to fast, our knife history is going away quickly, most unknown. 

Thanks Bryan! 

If you haven't already done so, check out this interview I did with Don back in 2013.

Today, work seemed all too meaningless. As I left work, I stared at the sheet of paper I have pinned to the entrance of my cube. It has two verses on it. One is from Act 5, Scene 5 of Shakespeare's Macbeth. You know the one, it begins with "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow". The other one is from LOTR, The Two Towers, and is commonly referred to as "Eowyn's Fear".

Then I came home and before going to bed, I listened to Episode 6 of the podcast. It was a fine end to a heavy & thoughtful day.

Thanks again Dave.

Thanks Josh! 

Episode 6, for those who might be interested, is Hemingway's short story: "A Clean Well-Lighted Place," and is themed around the contemplation of death (or at least non-existence).

https://www.buzzsprout.com/admin/episodes/1470508-episode-6-a-clean-well-lighted-place-by-earnest-hemingway

Episode 7 is live.

This one might interest you guys. It features the wisdom of Don Fogg, swords, beheadings, and discussion of the father of the craftsmanship movement in the West, William Morris.

The poem is called, "The Haystack in the Floods," and it's a 19th century rendition of scene from the late Medieval during the 100 years war between France and England.

Enjoy!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/admin/episodes/1679107-episode-7-the-haystack-in-the-floods-by-william-morris

I finally got time to sit quietly and listen to this one. I have to say Dave that one of the things I love about this podcast is all the stuff that comes in between the reading of the poem and the discussion of the poem. This episode's venture into the difference between aesthetic beauty and usefulness, and the art of merging the two, was particularly gratifying to me. You see, I had never heard of William Morris before tonight. Yet, when I heard you speaking about the blending of art and everyday use, I felt like I had been guided by him somehow.

Anyway, that poem was a journey back in time. The graphic descriptions were incredible. I watched the entire story pass before my mind's eye, as if I were remembering a scene from somewhere in my own history. What struck me as truly ghastly, was that Robert's own men gave him up without a fight.

Thanks, and I'm very happy to hear the family (including the dogs) all survived Dorian without incident.

English Mastiffs are the best!

Edited by Joshua States

Glad you enjoyed it, Josh.

Yes, Morris is an invisible hand that greatly impacts our craft, in my opinion. He was central in first championing the dignity and worth of hand made objects (and those who made them). 

If I had to pick an impossible utopian world to live in, it would be his novel "News from Nowhere," which depicts a world in which there is but one rule: You have to make something (grow it, build it, etc.) and then give it away. It wouldn't work, of course. But it's a lovely vision.

Thanks for listening!

Dave

OK. I am terminally challenged technically. I thought I had ensured that I would be alerted when the next episode aired by subscribing via Apple and Google thingys, but evidently I overestimated my competence for that sort of thing. I began to get edgy about it, but I didn't want to bug Dave (I know he's a busy guy).

For those of you who have also been waiting, Episode 8 went live 2 weeks ago. I just found out tonight...…..