Sign in to follow this  
Brian Dougherty

First crack at a folder

Posted (edited)

This is a bit of a cross post, but not everyone hangs out in the KITH section, and I would like some feedback on how to improve my technique on this one.

I made a slip-joint for my KITH contribution this year.  The WIP can be found here:

Here are a few finished pics.  Please critique away :)

KITH 2019 1.jpgKITH 2019 7.jpgKITH 2019 8.jpgKITH 2019 5.jpg

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Like 5

Whoa, it turned out really nice Brian! Bet it'll tough to let go.

• Thanks 1

Critique, he!!, that is one beautiful knife! Flawless!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MikeDT said:

Critique, he!!, that is one beautiful knife! Flawless!

Ha!  Hardly flawless, but thanks for the ego boost :)

Yeah. Turned out great.

• Thanks 1

Same thought comes up each time: If I could make something like that I'd be making only that.....

Well done Brian.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the accolades guys, I really do appreciate it.  I need a pat on the back just as much as the next guy.

This knife isn't really stellar, however, and the reason I posted it in this subforum was to get some constructive feedback.  Maybe it'll help if I start :)

1. Something is wrong with the nail nick.  It's a bit poorly formed, but there is something else.  At first I thought is was too far forward, but now I think that it may be just too short.

2. I like nickel silver for bolsters, but didn't want to use it for the pivot pin since it wouldn't wear well.  The resulting pivot pin being visible in the bolsters really screams at me.  I don't know if it will work, but my next one will use a pivot bushing, and I'll try to lock it in place with a nickel silver pin of the same alloy as the bolster material.  Other than that I may have to resort to stainless bolsters which I won't enjoy as much.

3. The peening on the handle pins is pretty bad.

Again, I truly appreciate the support and admiration.  

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Agreed the nick is too short and the pin stands out, but I see nothing wrong with the peening.  I also like the way you relieved the edges of the spring/spacer instead of leaving it flush with the liners.

• Thanks 1

Reading a book on making folders and lock blades is what got me into this hobby but, I have yet to make one .......

This thread has re-lit the fire of interest in folders for me, thanks for the share and good job ............B)

• Thanks 1

I think the blade could be thicker, the handle is a nice thickness though. The thickness is as important as the profile of the blade when it comes to how big the knife looks. It doesnt need much more, maybe 1/32" or I could even be seeing it wrong.

The pivot pin is okay. But it would be nice if the scale pins were matching. Or, if the liners and the pivot were the same material as the blade. But with the blade and spring matching and the pivot and liners matching, maybe if the bolster and handle pins match that would tie it all together nicely.

Part of the spacer/spring is not relieved and it made the relieved bit look like a gap to me. If it was not relieved at the front and back but still relieved in the middle I think it would be much better.

It looks like what you did was done well, the knife has a consistent look from head to toe, as though you did what you wanted to and didnt take any uncomfortable shortcuts. I like an ugly blade with a matching ugly handle better than an ugly blade with the most attractive burl because a wholly ugly knife has a feel to it. Im not saying your knife is ugly, its pretty darn good. Its like you knew what to do, but, being your first folder you dont quite understand what to do.

It makes me think of a nicely camouflaged snake, it has a feel to it. Its not just a handle and a blade, its a complete knife. You are close to having something with no problems at all, and really, there isnt anything "wrong" with this knife.

Ive made a few attempts at folders, they are not the same as fixed blades at all aside from the blade.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the thoughtful comments Steven.  Most of your comments I am in agreement, but one caught me by surprise.  The blade is 0.100" thick which I was thinking was a bit too thick for a knife this size.  I'm wondering if the scale didn't come through in the pics very well, or if you do indeed think that is too thick. 

Best...

Its kind of hard to tell without looking down at the spine of the blade, the spring looks slim because its got the corners knocked off whick made me thing the blade was slim as well, but now I dont think thats true.

• Thanks 1