Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

NEW ANVIL STAND in the works

So a few days ago my parents said they were having a few trees removed.  I asked them to tell the tree cutters that I wanted a 25 inch length of trunk cut for an anvil stand.  So yes I'm getting a new anvil stand. Still not quite sure how I'm gonna get it to my house exactly but at least I'll have a proper stand.  How ever what I'm wondering is how I should treat it so that it doesnt rot.  It will eventually but I want it to last me for quite a while.  I know I will need to debark the piece of truck that I get immediately.  So that will be a big project for me.  Any suggestions on the best ways of going abouts this?  Thanks.  I currently do not have a debarking knife.

Got a big knife? 

Done cautiously, if you have a long knife, you can use it similar to a draw knife.  

Small hatchet probably better.  You just need to shave the heavy bark off as that's where most the bugs will be if there are any. 

Treating the stump, I've never done before, but I bet you some linseed oil would work just fine. I think that you will find that it will check (crack) due to the loss of water since it's cut.  If that's what you are thinking about treating it from its pretty hard to prevent. 

I may have a small hatchet laying around here somewhere I don't have big knives that I would feel comfortable batoning the bark off.  I should be able to figure out a way to get it off though.  yea that was the other thing I was worried about was it cracking once I removed the bark and mounting the anvil to it.

It will crack, you just have to deal with it.  The traditional way is to forge a hoop and drive it onto the top of the stump.  Once the bark is off, as long as you keep it dry it won't rot badly.  On wooden railroad ties they make a thin S-shaped strip the size of the end of the tie and drive it in to hold things together.  On my stump (actually a pair of bridge timbers) I made a strap out of 3/8" x 1" mild and bent the ends out 90 degrees, drilled holes, and bolted it together so it can be tightened if need be.

My swage block stump is just debarked, not banded.  It has cracked and shrunk enough that I need to enlarge the inch-deep slot I cut to hold the block on edge, but it's still solid.  It's also elm, which, while it cracks, it does not split.

I've been using the same stump for over ten years and never debarked it.  Seems to be holding up better than I am.

Doug

Posted (edited)

Leaving the bark on is a good thing if you want to keep it from shrinking and checking.  However, critters may be in a fresh cut that you don't want near your home or living space. Having termites or even carpenter ants can cause a muck! My home has had both, luckily the home is under a warranty from the first infestation. 

I had some lumber drying in an old coal bin for a few years, this past fall I went threw it and found critters in one of the cuts that was not debarked.  Maple, I thought the bark was thin enough nothing was in it.  I was lucky in that the bugs only liked that one cut, and chucked it in the fire. 

Depending on that lumber you are getting once debarked, even checked it will probably last you years. Stumps are not that hard to find.  Personally I still like my bundle of 4x4's best, a sand box would be a little better, but probably would not be able to move it.

Also, the heavy bark Andy, its not going to be like a hacking and slashing event, it will just shave off with little effort. You don't need to go all the way down to the sap wood, just get the heavy outer bark off.

Edited by Daniel W

Posted (edited)

when it has dried a bit the bark will be easier to chip off and some of the burl guys use pressure washers to remove bark .......not sure if after its dried for a bit or when its fresh tho

if you have the ability or can get them to do it cut one side flat so you wont have to lean in to the anvil as much as if its left full round ... if that makes sense

Edited by dragoncutlery

Depending on the time of year and kind of tree, the bark may come off quite easily. When it's freshly cut in the summertime, I've been able to peel off the bark with my bare hands from black walnut and a few other species. This is very handy when making bows.

Thanks for the feed back guys just an update it's not a huge stump but I do have a photo of what Im getting it's not here as of yet but I mean its a simple small round so it will work for my anvil.  Someone is hauling it over for me after the trees are finished being cut down from what I've seen over there today they are about done.  But at least I will have a sturdy anvil stand and another great thing my steel should be arriving on monday as well so a double bonus.  But this picture should give you guys an idea of it.  No it's not on level ground either at the moment.  I wasn't gonna attempt to move that thing lmfao.  It is yes 25 inches in over all length.  The anvil comes up to about 4 or 5 inches higher than that so it's right at the perfect working height for me.  So I kinda lucked out.

IMG_20190608_140726818.jpg

• Like 1

Update note anvil is mounted.  I had to carve out a slot into the top of the stump for the anvil front foot to sit in so it was level.  But if I did this correctly and I'm hoping I did and my math panned out it should sit fully level on even ground.  :D  But at least I have a proper anvil stand now LOL.  I opted to also leave the bark on for now instead of debarking it.  Where the bark has been scraped off already is from the chainsaw.

IMG_20190611_100909805(1).jpg

IMG_20190611_100909805.jpg

IMG_20190611_100911879.jpg

IMG_20190611_100919248.jpg

IMG_20190611_100926266.jpg

• Like 1