Gary Mulkey

How a New Damascus Pattern Gets Started

Here's the blade & guard ready for the handle:

It will get a front handle spacer of one of the blade damascus patterns.  I have a nice piece of ironwood burl ordered for the handle which will get some  blade steel for a pommel cover to  match the handle spacer.

IMG_5435_opt

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wow Gary!

You really do 10 mosaic blades a week, don't you?  You only show us one at a time so we don't feel bad about our own skills...

Edited by Bruno
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Progressing with the hilt:

I tapered the front of the ironwood block first and then checkered the front half ( the front spacer is of the same damascus as the center pattern of  the blade):

IMG_5450_opt

I profiled the ironwood block with the band saw and did a rough contour of the back half of it on the 2x72.  The pommel wrap was forged from the same damascus as the handle spacer:

IMG_5466_opt

I'll do the remainder of  the handle shaping on the ironwood by hand tomorrow in my public shop.  While  the pommel wrap  is annealing in the oven, I'll etch the front handle spacer.

IMG_5475_opt

• Like 1

It's ready for a butt cap  & pommel nut.  I'm thinking that I may go  with 416 for the butt cap rather than damascus.  This  one  is pretty "busy" already.

IMG_5486_opt

• Like 1

B)   !!!

• Thanks 1

First dry fit-up:

I've yet to do some final hand sanding & polishing but it's getting close.  I think  that I'll  save  that for  doing in front of the  public tomorrow.

IMG_5493_opt

IMG_5496_opt

IMG_5501_opt

• Like 4

It is a stunning piece of work or maybe it should be termed art to be studied adinfinitum and always finding something new to see and focus on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Garry Keown said:

It is a stunning piece of work or maybe it should be termed art to be studied adinfinitum and always finding something new to see and focus on.

Thanks, Garry.

This is mind blowing!!!!

• Thanks 1

That one has a soul  !!   B)

• Thanks 1

Always nice to see you perform your magic Gary, and this one is special.

Learned something from how you do that checkering, thank you very much!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Always nice to see you perform your magic Gary, and this one is special.

Learned something from how you do that checkering, thank you very much!

Thanks.  Are you referring to the checkering of the blade pattern or the handle?

Some day your work will be in a book covering the history of early 21st century knifemakers.  Maybe it will be written by Falyderman's great grand-children.

5 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Some day your work will be in a book covering the history of early 21st century knifemakers.  Maybe it will be written by Falyderman's great grand-children.

Brian,

You flatter me.  Thank  you.

18 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Thanks.  Are you referring to the checkering of the blade pattern or the handle?

The handle.

I would like to try something similar, don't have a machine that makes cuts that wide but my dad gave me the idea of putting 2 (or 3) blades in a normal hacksaw.

Whatever you did with the blade is magic way above my pay grade! :lol:

Thanks for sharing Gary, I get a lot of inspiration from your work.

5 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

The handle.

I would like to try something similar, don't have a machine that makes cuts that wide but my dad gave me the idea of putting 2 (or 3) blades in a normal hacksaw.

Whatever you did with the blade is magic way above my pay grade! :lol:

Thanks for sharing Gary, I get a lot of inspiration from your work.

I did the handle checkering with my mill/drill and a pointed router bit.;)

Gerhard, they do sell dedicated checkering files, but they will be much finer than what Gary did. Think more along the lines of checkering on rifle/shotgun stocks. 

43 minutes ago, Eric Morgan said:

Gerhard, they do sell dedicated checkering files, but they will be much finer than what Gary did. Think more along the lines of checkering on rifle/shotgun stocks. 

Exactly right.  My checkering files are 18 to the inch.  This handle has 4 to the inch.

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2019 at 12:12 AM, Eric Morgan said:

I've seen them for sale on a South African site for 700, while I pay 40-80 for various kinds of Pherd files.......horrendously expensive :ph34r:

I actually worked at a friend's engineering shop after my last retrenchment, learned to use the lathe and mill, unfortunately his machines are too busy for me to use them occasionally, can't see myself owning anything like that.

6 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I've seen them for sale on a South African site for 700, while I pay 40-80 for various kinds of Pherd files.......horrendously expensive :ph34r:

One of the skills that is often required in making hand made items is the making of specialized tools for the job.  If you make a checkering tool with adjustable spacers between the cutters then you will be able to layout any size checkering without the need for a mill or expensive files.

Time to get the creative juices flowing.;)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Time to get the creative juices flowing.;)

You just did exactly that with a few sentences, thanks Gary.

I'm very early in the game and although I have gathered a lot of the basics in 4 years there's still a lot of tooling I need to do, not to mention refining my grinders etc etc etc.

My sales aren't great but the income has helped, so the urge to make knives instead of tools and shop improvements is very strong.

• Like 1