Jeremy Blohm

40 kg/88 lb Canadian blacksmith supply power hammer

Posted (edited)

I made the purchase of a lifetime!!! For a total of $7420.40 USD I bought the 40 kg/88 lb self contained power hammer this does not include duty fees/taxes at the border. I was going to start this thread when I go to pick it up but I'm too excited to hold off! So far if my wifes enhanced  license comes in by June 28th were going to get it that weekend.

1 (1).jpg

23222995_10214073497768932_1382691818_o (1).jpg

The machine on the left is the one I'm getting. It stands 70 inches tall and weighs 2280 pounds.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • Like 4

YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SOME FUN!

• Like 1

Here is a video of the 33 lb. 

I emailed the guy I'm buying this hammer from and I asked about another set of flat dies to purchase when I pick up the hammer and I guess it comes with 2 sets of flat dies. How would you guys modify one of the sets of flat dies?

A combo die might be a good choice......My   ,02

I'd either put a gentle radius on 'em and use them as drawing dies, or bolt a tool holder to the bottom die to use with spring fullers, etc.  Look around the site for posts by John Rigoni, he did a great series of videos showing how he uses his similar hammer with tooling to do all sorts of cool stuff.

• Like 2

I considered the combo dies but now I'm going on the hunt for John Rigoni's videos and see what he has to offer.B)

Posted (edited)

I bought this trailer yesterday in order to use it to get my power hammer. It is rated for 2500 lbs and my hammer weighs 2280. I paid $1400 for it. It is 5'x12' with 2"x8" deck boards. This trailer was the largest of the utility trailer but doesn't have brakes. The next step up was a tilt bed equipment trailer with a 5000 lb single axle that had brakes but cost $800 more. The wife made me settle for this one. If she didnt go with me I probably would have pulled the trigger on the equipment trailer. I think I will get more use out of this one in the long run. 

Resized_20190701_181236.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Oh yeah and the plan is to go and pick up the hammer on the weekend of July 12th!:D

I used a similar trailer to move my 33.  Rented it along with a truck to pull it from U-haul.  Worked very well, but needed a piece of 3/4" plywood to load using a pallet jack.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

And so the hammer envy begins... :P

Edited by Will W.
  • Like 1

Wait!  All the tonnage you bring home, and you didn't already have a trailer?!?

Good luck with the hammer move :)

• Haha 1

He does some really impressive work. One thing that I wish I had that he has is a clean shop!!! That goes for a lot of people here. I just dont have enough time in a day to do the things I NEED to do. I barely find enough time to do the things I WANT to do. Four kids keep me extremely busy!!! :lol:

John just got a new subscriber :)

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Wait!  All the tonnage you bring home, and you didn't already have a trailer?!?

Im still going to buy a car hauler to haul the heavy loads. My wife wanted this trailer so she can haul her kayak and bikes for the kids and the mower so she can mow her moms lawn. So basically I get to haul my hammer with it and then its hers. :lol:

3 minutes ago, SteveShimanek said:

John just got a new subscriber :)

He got 2. I subscribed last night. ;) I see he didnt make a video for a while and now he is back at it.

Posted (edited)

This is the weekend I pick up my hammer. I have booked a hotel in London Ontario. The hotel is an old armory converted into a hotel. Hopefully there is some iron work left inside to check out.

yxudl-entrance-7906-hor-feat.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • Like 1

Back in the day

42104000000004.jpg

Todayimages (2).jpeg

I've got the hammer and were back in london for the night.

Resized_20190713_132123.jpeg

Resized_20190713_181344.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We made it home safely. But at the border I was supposed to pay duties for my purchase in Canada but when I got to the border I handed the guy my paperwork and he asked if it was a purchase for my business or for resale and I told him no it was for my hobby. He looked at me and said as far as im concerned if it's not for resale your free to go. So I did. About a mile into Detroit we heard gunshots. The kids didnt even look around. I guess there just so used to it it didnt phase them but me and my wife knew it wasnt good. 

But back to the duties. What should I do. I have a manifest and everything. They know I was supposed to cross. I paid a company to do everything for me. I emailed the company that did the paperwork I'm just waiting to hear back. I dont want to get hit with fees later on.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Ok so some clarification. The customs broker paid duties on my behalf so I was able to pass through without any issues. This was something I was unaware of. I guess I should have asked more questions so I knew exactly what I was doing. I kind of just winged it. Now i know what to do for the next ones. :D

• Like 1

I'm definitely jellyous ...............:P

• Like 1

I rented a mini excavator for a week to excavate the back of my house to fix my foundation. The people we bought the house from just built a 2x6 wall to support the house :angry: I'm going to fix it right. So the first project with the excavator is getting the power hammer off of the trailer. Then I might rent a skid steer with forks to get the homemade hammer out and new hammer in.B)

It's in the shop now. But I'm only going to be able to work on it at night until I get my excavation done.

Resized_20190716_220423.jpeg

• Like 1