Jeremy Blohm

40 kg/88 lb Canadian blacksmith supply power hammer

good stuff, make sure it is not running too fast, it will overheat, and get grumpy with light blow control if it is going more than about 230 bpm!

• Thanks 1

I will check it out. It seems about right but it's also my first time running a self contained hammer. Its definitely not running like a 33 but it's hard to tell how fast it is compared to the videos of 55 lb hammers I've seen. I'm working on getting 50 amp breaker out to the shop and I'm going to finish my RPC and the 1100 rpm motor is going back on it. 

Great stuff :D 

It is going very quick though! It will be much more relaxing to be around with the other motor on it! , or can you slow it down by dropping the Hz on the VFD ?

Edited by John N

Drop the Hz on the VFD to two-thirds of the frequency intended by the supplier (hopefully, that's the mains frequency where you are) to get the same speed as you'll get with the 6-pole motor and see how it goes. 

After watching the video. I can tell she is running way too fast. I'm going to slow it down with the VFD for now and I'm going to order a smaller pulley to go on the motor until I can get the other motor back on it. 

Here is a video of it all out.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I set the VFD to 47 vs. 60 and tried it. Light blows are much more manageable now. And it's much quieter.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Good call.  Looks like it was running around 270bpm in that vid.

• Like 1

When the fine tunin is worked out it's gonna be sweet, and I'm gonna be jellyous as hell  !!!...............:P:D

• Like 1

I'm going to radius the edges of the dies. 1/4 inch or a little more sound ok or should I go a little heavier? I have 2 sets of flat dies and I'm waiting on the drawing dies yet but there coming. I could radius both sets of dies differently for different purposes.  The top die I'm using now needs to be put on the surface grinder because its NOT square at all. So for now I'm going to change the top die out with the other but I wanna radius it first so what say the crowd? 1/4 inch for now?

Oh it will. Its kinda scary!!! But after slowing it down I was able to close a box with it! I'm working on uploading the video.

It sounds better in that vid.................B)

• Like 1

I played with it some more tonight and left it at 47 hz and i was amazed at the control. I forged H13 for the first time and it is crazy how hard it is!!! But I drew out a round hammer eye punch to weld to a handle to use under the power hammer. Tomorrow I will do a finish grind on it and weld it to a handle and give it a try and see how it works. 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 9:51 AM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Here is a video of it all out.

OK. In this video at the very beginning if you slow the speed of the video to 1/2 or even 1/4 speed watch the first 3 strikes!!! I'm not sure if its supposed to do this. I've read through the owner's manual twice. Its in a very crude Chinenglish. I believe what happens is if the tredle is depressed to quickly is it builds too much pressure in the Tup cylinder and slams the top of the tup on the top plate of the cylinder. Tomorrow I'm going to take the top plate off and inspect it. 

Here is a rounding hammer I started today. I plan on trying to do it all under the power hammer. Tomorrow I'm going to make a spring fuller to forge in the troughs and i need to make a top and bottom fuller to draw out the "cheeks" of the hammer. 

Resized_20191017_152701.jpeg

Resized_20191017_152728.jpeg

A quick and dirty spring fuller for forging in the troughs of hammers.

Resized_20191018_162657.jpeg

• Like 1

I like that, Jeremy.  Probably won't ever have a hydraulic press, but that would certainly be the way to do it!

• Thanks 1

Alright now I've ran the hammer for a number of hours and I have a few major complaints one is a real issue and that is all the bolts keep coming loose. I'm constantly tightening things up. I've emailed the guy I got it from and he is trying to get torque specs for the hammer and I'm going to go through the entire machine. Another complaint would be the die size. They are quite small to be using tooling. Some of the hammers I have made are about the same dimensions as the face of the dies. Another would be I wish the top die didnt get pulled up inside the stuffing box which would make it easier to make and use bolt on "saddle" dies. The anyang hammers have a taller midsection which makes it so they have the same stroke height but the upper die doesn't go inside the stuffing box and adds weight to the machine. The dies are not perfectly level either. I'm working  on getting my surface grinder g

Hooked up and I will surface grind both dies. The spare set of flat dies cant be used with the wedges supplied because the are milled out a little more than the ones the were installed on the machine when I got it so i need to make new wedges for it. 

The pros would be it has made my life soooo much easier!!! It will move metal faster than I've ever moved it before. I am working on getting a 75 kg 165 lb hammer now but I will be importing it from china myself. The only reason I'm doing it that way is simply because I would never be able to afford it any other way. When I get this bigger hammer this one will have drawing dies on it mainly and the big hammer will be used with tooling.

Jeremy;  Loctite thread locker is yer friend in this type of application..................;)

On 12/23/2019 at 8:27 PM, Clifford Brewer said:

Jeremy;  Loctite thread locker is yer friend in this type of application..................;)

Yes sir. I might buy stock in thread locker for this thing!!!:lol:

So I have a quote for a 75kg/165lb hammer directly from china. This will blow your minds.

$2700 for the hammer

$230 shipping to Chicago 

And then there will be an import tax of 25% and the customs broker fees. 

So for around $4000 I will have twice the hammer for half the price!!! Now I'm wondering why I didnt do this in the first place. :mellow:

@ChrisBriggs will be ordering a hammer with me and for 2 hammes to be shipped, shipping will only be $350

Did they give you a list of reference customers that you could call in the US?  Just because its chinese doesn't mean its junk, but too good to be true can sometimes be just that. 

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 1

No I havent but I will ask about that!!! Its a great idea that i never thought about. Chris and I are looking into taking a trip to china and see there factory. $579 round trip would be worth it And still be thousands less than buying an already imported hammer and we would get to see china at it's finest first hand.