Sign in to follow this  
Steve Nowacki

Higonokami,Tombo

I've been wanting to make one of these for ages and finally got around to it. The body of the knife is made from 2mm thick copper sheet which I've beaten and filed the top then applied liver of sulphur to patina the surface. The blade is made from Shiro 2 with a white paper steel core, blade thickness is 3mm, blade length is 75mm, that's cutting edge, overall length of the knife is 186mm and the closed length including the flipper is 135mm. I've called her Tombo, dragonfly, I hope you like her. Thank you for taking the time to look guys and all comments are really appreciated.

Steve

DSCF5570.jpg

DSCF5571.jpg

DSCF5572.jpg

DSCF5573.jpg

DSCF5574.jpg

• Like 8

Such a beautiful knife Steve. I love everything 

• Like 1

Thank you Joel, I fell in love with these after seeing one posted on this forum. Like I said I've been itching to make one and finally got the time to do it. For a prototype I'm really pleased how she turned out.

I like the bamboo sectioning on the blade and handle  .............B)

• Like 1

That knife is so beautiful my efforts make me feel like a cave man dragging his knuckles and banging rocks together......amazing.

• Like 1

Gerhard, thank you very much for your comments my friend, they really are very much appreciated.

• Like 1

Good work there Steve. Very organic look to her.

• Like 1

Thank you for that Charles, the UK Knife show is on Sunday 30th of June have you any thoughts on attending. It would be good to put a face to your name and have a chat.

Man I wish I could. Unfortunately I already have plans for that weekend. I’ll have to try next year. 

Steve, that is a very nice friction knife and I especially like the hammering and patina on the copper.  What did you do?  Hammer the copper apply liver of sulfur then sand it off the high points to show the contrast.  I was also given the idea that the authorities in the UK were cracking down on pocket knives.  Is it the fact that it's a friction folder that makes it legal?  Not trying to get political, just trying to understand the situation.

Doug

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Doug thank you for your comnents buddy. I did exactly like you said, hammered the copper, applied the liver of sulphur and sanded the high spots lightly back. You're also right about the good old British government. A knife is legal to carry if the blade is a max of 3" long or smaller and it is a non locking folder, e.g. friction folder. You would still havd to have good reason to have it on your person if stopped and searched. The new rules about buying from the internet and the banning of assisted openers just to mention a few new measures have muddied the waters beyond belief.

Edited by Steve Nowacki