Alex Middleton

Smoky Mountain Knife Works - Sevierville TN

I think it was the Copper Cellar, something like that.  Last restaurant on the right as you're leaving town going towards Sugarlands.  It was definitely Copper something.  Not, as far as I know, affiliated with the Copper Cellar in Knoxville, however.  Looking at Google Earth Street view, it's not there anymore.  I was last there in 1989, so it may have been gone for quite a while.

• Like 1

We're walking the Gatlinburg strip today.  There are a couple of "Handmade" knife shops that have recently opened, all owned by the same person.  They had a large selection of Damascus knives on "clearance" in both of the shops that I went in.  They said that they had bought out the collection of a retiring maker in Alabama, can't remember his name.   I handled a couple and wasn't very impressed.  They had epoxy filled gaps, chips on the cutting edges, etc.  I'm not saying that they are all junk, just that it's probably buyer beware.

The interesting thing was that they are opening up a public forge downtown in July.  They are planning on having demo's, classes, and even competitions, along with making all of their own knives for the shops.  I talked for a while with the head bladesmith (he told me his name but my short term memory is terrible), he said that he is starting the process to get his JS stamp and plans to get his MS in time.  I'd be curious to come back in a year or so and see what they do with it.

IIRC they had a blacksmithing program in town when I went. I think it was just a craft school.

Everybody wants to be a smith... do-do-do-da-do-doo-dooo-do-doo. That's offa somethin. Ev-ry-bo-dy wants to be a- ____.  Something. 

On 6/16/2019 at 2:39 AM, Zeb Camper said:

IIRC they had a blacksmithing program in town when I went. I think it was just a craft school.

Everybody wants to be a smith... do-do-do-da-do-doo-dooo-do-doo. That's offa somethin. Ev-ry-bo-dy wants to be a- ____.  Something. 

... cat. From Aristocats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1