KenH

Meteorite forging

Hello ya'll, as you can see I'm VERY new with this site.  Been reading over the last couple of days and impressed with the amount of knowledge and willingness to share displayed on this site.  Gary Mulkey did a wonderful job with his Meteorite Knife Completed thread and got me interested all over again on forging a meteorite.  I've done a small amount of forging, made a few San Mai billets with 416 cladding, a couple of small Damascus billets.  I've never done a canister Damascus.  I ordered a bit of Campo meteorite from ebay (hopefully a good vendor).  Not sure if I can post a link to the ebay listing or not, so I'll just post a photo of the item ordered:

Campo-Metorite-s.jpg

Would it work to break that up into smaller bits, then using iron powder (1095?) for canister, mix the Campo meteorite in, then forge it all together?  Would the meteorite show up at all in an etch?  I'm thinking perhaps to place the meteorite up toward the top with the bottom 1/4 of canister only powder to have a high carbon for the cutting edge.

Is there any hope for something like that to work at all?

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions.

Ken H>

You might try a canister before you go all in. Just a thought. 

Thanks for the comment Zeb, and knowing me and the slow cautious pace I usually set trying a canister with power only, and perhaps a few pieces of other steel would be something I'd do.  Looking for comments if the forging I mentioned is even possible, and if so are there things I should do.  Oh, I should mention my forging is the "baking soda" type - "Arm 'n Hammer" {g}.  One thing I would see is the need to use the "canoe" method of canister as as to be able to better control where the meteorite would be in the powder mix.

Posted (edited)

Ken,

You didn't say but it appears that you have some small  pieces of Campo meteorite.  It so, you will find that it welds fairly easily (at least to steel) but is  very hot short.  I've not tried it in a cannister or to weld pieces to  themselves but the cannister may help with  the hot  short tendency.  If you do this I would  recommend that you place only the meteorite pieces in the cannister by themselves and try to weld them into a solid  mass.  You can then try welding it to some high carbon steel.  Just keep  in mind  that meteorite has no carbon so by itself won't harden.  Either use it away from the cutting edge or you must add it to enough hyper eutectoid steel so  that through carbon migration it will give you at least .7% C in your final billet for hardening.

Good luck.  Keep us  in the loop.

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 1

I have melted bits of campo into bloom, in a Evenstad style hearth. 
 It mixed in quite well, and made some very cool shiny streaks in the steel, after forging and etching. 
 A Canister weld would likely work fine. Then cut and stack a few times, and it would likely make some very spiff patterns.

Mark

On 6/10/2019 at 2:10 PM, KenH said:

Hello ya'll, as you can see I'm VERY new with this site. 

Ken H>

But let me assure you all, NOT new to knifemaking.....

• Like 1

Thank you for the nice words BillyO.  When compared to the likes of many folks on this and other boards I really do consider myself a "rank amature" {g}

Hello ya'll - it's been awhile since I first posted this thread looking for info on forge welding Campo Meteorite.  Been too hot for me to fool around much on a forge outside.  I like inside with the AC these HOT days.  I don't handle heat near so well as in my younger years.  Ya'll see the photo of the campo meteorite I've got.  It seems the general recommendation was for canister damascus.  I've not got 5 lb of a very fine (almost talc?) 1084 powder.  I'm looking for info about size of canister for this project.  I'll take some 1/8" mild steel I've got and bend/weld a canister.  The steel is actually .110" thick including the paint.  Once I remove the paint I expect closer to .100" thick.   How best to do this.  Remember, the only "powder hammer" I've got is the "Arm 'n Hammer" type.  

I'm thinking perhaps a canister about 1" deep by 2" wide and perhaps 6" long.  What percent 1084 powder vs the Campo bits would be best?  25% Campo?  I'm thinking perhaps grind away paint for a clean mild steel interior rather than coating with whiteout, then plan to grind mild steel off?

Does anything need to be done to the Campo Meteorite bits as far as cleaning?  They're clean now, almost like they were polished a bit?  Maybe wash in Acetone?

Looking for some guidance on this project - I KNOW I know nothing about meteorite forge welding.

Thanks for any suggestions and guidance.

Ken H>